X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scout/sniper platoon

I am not a soldier or anything but I hear you can get into a Sniper/scout platoon in your Guard unit and weild an m24 or m14 or some DMR. I would like to join as an 11B, but how would you get into that platoon? Is the info. I have correct? How long would it take and how hard would it be to get into it?

Thanks soldiers!

Re: Scout/sniper platoon

Dude...didnt you just have an entire different post about this? Why are you so obsessed with what weapon you will carry.

Comment

Well it's not the weapon, im just interested in the position. And if you look closely they are two different questions.
      Sorry, just trying to get information and to clarify, as it is a dream I have had for a while.
      I don't mean to be annoying or anything or 'obsessive'

Comment

Stick to one thread. The answers to the questions in this thread were answered in your last thread, if you read through it carefully enough.

Comment

Comment

^^^^^^^Oh, many lulz were had!

Comment

His name is TreyAr which is short for Treyarch, the company that worked on Call of Duty Black OPs, now I understand lol

Comment

Only question is how do you get into a scout/sniper platoon???

Comment

Originally posted by TreyAR View Post
                  Only question is how do you get into a scout/sniper platoon???
                  OK, I'll be nice.

Does your state have infantry units?
                  If yes, does it have scout/sniper platoon in its MTOE?
                  If yes, how far away is that unit from you?
                  What is the entrance requirements for that platoon?
                  Does that platoon have any vacancies?
                  Have you talked with a recruiter?

You get the meaning? Your questions are vague at best.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                    OK, I'll be nice.

Does your state have infantry units?
                    If yes, does it have scout/sniper platoon in its MTOE?
                    If yes, how far away is that unit from you?
                    What is the entrance requirements for that platoon?
                    Does that platoon have any vacancies?
                    Have you talked with a recruiter?

You get the meaning? Your questions are vague at best.
                    In addition to what the good Captain said, I think you can find your answer here http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...431#post151431 oh wait.... this is your other thread on this question.

Comment

Does a vertical construction company have those? I've been digging ont he internet, and found "engineer reconnaissance" is that like what the guy in the first post is talkinga bout?

Comment

Originally posted by FutureEngineer View Post
                        Does a vertical construction company have those? I've been digging ont he internet, and found "engineer reconnaissance" is that like what the guy in the first post is talkinga bout?
                        A vertical construction company will not have B4 qualified positions. I'm in a Sapper company and we don't have any sniper positions either. Snipers belong to the scout/sniper section in the HHC of an infantry battalion. Thier missions are tasked out from battalion or higher. Snipers are strictly infantry, although other MOS can attend the course.

Now there may be some spots for a designated marksman but it is highly unlikely in a vertical construction company.

As for the engineer reconnaissance, that is very different than what most people think about when they think recon. Engineer recon revolves around conducting recon on roads, bridges, under passes, ferries, fords etc and developing map overlays which show obstructions in the road as well as avenues of approach for likely enemy travel, attacks etc. During this recon you will go out and measure roads for width, gradient, slope etc. You will also asses bridges to see what their strength is and how much weight they can support etc. This all falls under the mobility missions for combat engineers. This will also include route clearance of obstacles and IED's

On the more high speed engineer recon missions you will recon bridges for demolition, set up obstacles either with explosives or implacing them by hand(mines, concertina fence obstacles like tripple strands) and Pathfinder operations(rare). All the above except for the Pathfinder missions are part of counter mobility operations.

I should point out that typically there is one 12B slot(usually E-6) per infantry battalion who is considered the recon NCO. He is tasked with conducting pretty much all the above for the entire battalion.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
                          A vertical construction company will not have B4 qualified positions. I'm in a Sapper company and we don't have any sniper positions either. Snipers belong to the scout/sniper section in the HHC of an infantry battalion. Thier missions are tasked out from battalion or higher. Snipers are strictly infantry, although other MOS can attend the course.

Now there may be some spots for a designated marksman but it is highly unlikely in a vertical construction company.

As for the engineer reconnaissance, that is very different than what most people think about when they think recon. Engineer recon revolves around conducting recon on roads, bridges, under passes, ferries, fords etc and developing map overlays which show obstructions in the road as well as avenues of approach for likely enemy travel, attacks etc. During this recon you will go out and measure roads for width, gradient, slope etc. You will also asses bridges to see what their strength is and how much weight they can support etc. This all falls under the mobility missions for combat engineers. This will also include route clearance of obstacles and IED's

On the more high speed engineer recon missions you will recon bridges for demolition, set up obstacles either with explosives or implacing them by hand(mines, concertina fence obstacles like tripple strands) and Pathfinder operations(rare). All the above except for the Pathfinder missions are part of counter mobility operations.

I should point out that typically there is one 12B slot(usually E-6) per infantry battalion who is considered the recon NCO. He is tasked with conducting pretty much all the above for the entire battalion.
                          I've been looking at Combat Engineer quite a bit as well, reading on the main missions of Route Clearance, Mobility, Countermobility, Survivability, and Route Clearance. One of the things I found looking at Combat Engineer earlier, was an article of Combat Engineers using a new form of breaching charge to take a door down for the Infantry to run in. Pretty cool stuff, gotta find the article again to post it.

Looking at the mission of the Combat Engineer, I'm very interested to know how the Engineer Company in a Heavy Brigade ( C Co 1-161st for instance out of Bellingham) differs from a Combat Engineer in a Light Engineer Company, and really what the difference would be unit wise between a unit that is Mobility oriented, or Counter Mobility Oriented, or is Survivability Oriented.

Survivability sounds like a very interesting mission set-up, same with the Mobility Operations.

Comment

Follow RegLeg's advice...Go talk to a recruiter and don't take no for an answer.
                            Real life and Call of Duty are very, very different. If this is truly something that you want to do then go do it, but keep that in mind.
                            ...Also there is a Psychological evaluation required to attend Sniper School, so if your nuts don't bother trying

Comment

As hard as it is to lock a double thread.

Stick to this thread instead of making both.

I smell a troll.
                              Last edited by Mr_Loki; November 18th, 2011, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X