X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• switching to active at basic

My husband went to basic in 07 and his drill sergeants asked anybody in the NG if they wanted to switch to active. I really want to go active now and I was wondering if thats a possibility to talk to my drill sergeant when I get there and ask to switch to active?

Re: switching to active at basic

No...even in 07 when the DS asked NG if they wanted to go active, it was not as simple as that. Those soldiers couldn't just choose to go active and then go. They would have had to request a conditional release from their state and I'm willing to bet not many of those were granted. Once you complete basic and AIT you'll need to wait 6 months and then you can request a conditional release from your state to go active. Chances are pretty good that it probably wont happen though.

Comment

RSP NCO pretty much summed it up. It might have been believable in 2007, because there was a greater demand for troops back then.

Comment

So now that I am in the guard, and even though i have not shipped to basic or AIT there is NOOOOOO way that I can go active now? My guard recruiter screwed me over.....

Comment

Originally posted by ashlynn1291 View Post
          So now that I am in the guard, and even though i have not shipped to basic or AIT there is NOOOOOO way that I can go active now? My guard recruiter screwed me over.....
          How did they screw you over? you are an adult, no one held a gun to your head to do anything. You made your own decision. You could have went to an AD recruiter and joined AD if that was what you wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
            RSP NCO pretty much summed it up. It might have been believable in 2007, because there was a greater demand for troops back then.
            +1, the surges had a reason for that and OP, RSP NCO is right; if you wanted active, you should have decided then. I was fortunate to get active from Guard. Right now active-component will be reducing it's ranks by 30,000 in three years and trying to push us to early outs to go reserves. Many of us are fighting that. The wars are ending soon at least for a while.
            Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; November 10th, 2011, 11:49 PM.

Comment

How did my guard recruiter screw me over? He told me once i get back from basic and AIT i would be able to switch to active right away if i wanted to.....which obviously isnt the case. So i guess the bigger question is....what are the ways I can switch to active after AIT in the NG?

Comment

Originally posted by ashlynn1291 View Post
                How did my guard recruiter screw me over? He told me once i get back from basic and AIT i would be able to switch to active right away if i wanted to.....which obviously isnt the case. So i guess the bigger question is....what are the ways I can switch to active after AIT in the NG?
                Answered previously.

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
                Once you complete basic and AIT you'll need to wait 6 months and then you can request a conditional release from your state to go active. Chances are pretty good that it probably wont happen though.
                Now, there ARE active duty positions within the guard. There's been many discussions on this in the past, so I recommend using the search feature to get the basics down on how those work.

Comment

See above. Basically, you aren't going to be able to.

Comment

I am also wondering the same thing...is it possible to go active after Basic & AIT are complete??

Comment

Possible but at the moment not likely. Just stay on top of it and submit that conditional release.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                        Possible but at the moment not likely. Just stay on top of it and submit that conditional release.
                        Sounds good, thank you!

Comment

Working...
                        X