X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Guard- Sniper, SDM

Okay, i know this may be an annoying question that you all probably get a lot but I have a series of questions.

If I join the ARNG as an 11b, and score expert with an m-4 or m-16, what are my chances/odds of getting into SDM school? I'd be happy as a SDM but what are my chances of weilding an m14, m24 *or the xm2010 or whatever new guns And also, with or without SDM training, what are my chances/odds of getting to attend The NG sniper school in Arkansas?
    How long would all of this take?
    Is becoming a sniper as unrealistic as some people try to persuade? Some make it sound like a quite possible achievement, some make it sound like becoming president.
    How difficult it is their sniper school * obviously difficult * but i mean is it up there with scout sniper school, ranger school, SEAL training?

Also, I hear of like... sniper groups or units in the NG that some soldiers get into and weild m24's?
    There's probably more i can think of but im already at a lot of questions. PLEASE do not give me the "COD ****, ooh you dont know what your getting into," treatment. I'd like the facts, and 1st persons point of views' (if you've been there)

Re: National Guard- Sniper, SDM

The search function and Google can be your best friend if you let it.

In many infantry battalions there is a scout/sniper section in the HHC. It's a platoon sized element that has a handfull of B4 coded positions. Could you go to sniper school in the NG? Yes, I know of two people personally that have gone and passed the course. Both belong to the scout/sniper section of thier infantry battalion. Keep in mind the biggest factor when it comes to cool guy schools is money. If your state has it and is willing to spend it then soldiers will go. If your state is broke then not many people go any where.

Oh and in real life this **** is nothing like COD

Comment

Trey

I served as a Scout/Sniper in the Marines and in the Sniper section of and Infantry HHC during my time in the NG Grunts. We had had both School Trained shooters(B4) and OJT Shooters. Also some companies have SDm's and some don't. As Jug said above it all costs money and your command. The Cav units now have a company dismounted scouts which has Scout/Snipers in them as well. It is not just about wanting to be the shooter, if you want the challenge of the team, be the spotter you have to be just as good and then some as the shooter. We also had 3 of us that went to the Air Force JTAC school, because NG infantry is set up like AD but not exactly, AD has 13F's and AF JTAC's for Air and IDF support that are attached to them you may get that in the guard in some units, but it's rare. As for your platform of DM, you may get assigned a 14 you may get an SPR you may get an A4 with ACOG. But once again it comes do to money and mission. As for the M24,XM-107's,M21's and others you will see those in your Sniper Sections, and LRSU's if there are any left around. Just because you shoot EX does not mean you are going to be an DM once again money, and mission. Being an Expert helps, but you will (should go thru and Indoc) Qual,PFT,Ocourse,Land Nav, a Hump and then an interview possibly 2 for a Scout/Sniper platoon position or Recon Platoon whatever it is now. I don't want to bust your hopes. But you should be in top shape, a good shot Expert definatley would help but a stellar troop with SS could be considerd. Be a a good squad member and reccomended by your team /squad Leader for the position of DM if available or to be put on the selection list for tryouts/idoc for a S/S or Recon platoon. IT is good to have a desire to be hgh speed and attain that position be you should excell at being a good grunt before you think about other things. Also what Juggernaut said is right on, It's easy from a recliner, and a whole different ball game when the game is has no reset!! Good luck in your career as a grunt it is a love/hate state of mind. You will have times that are the most awsome and unbeliveble you will ever have and times that you be saying " I cant belive im doing this S@#$ " I did it for 14 years. And miss it very much never thought i would say that at only 34 but you see when you get there.

Thunder

Comment

So is it a realistic goal? How long would this take before i'd be able to attend one of the schools ( after bct and everything), and what are OJT shooters? Just guys on a sniper (team, idk) without B4 qualification?

Comment

Being a Sniper is not just about shooting... All goals are realistic if you work to get yourself in a position where there are actual requirements for special skills. The new weapons systems will be found either solely in Afghanistan (as they are fielded) or in specialized Units and sections (such as LRSU or Scout/Sniper section).

Being a good shot guarantees you nothing, but as an Infantryman proves you can do your job with a rifle, which is highly important in any event (actually important for all soldiers regardless of MOS). As mentioned, many slots for many schools will be highly competitive (and school funding availablity will ensure that) and in my LRS unit only the high scorers in the selected events (such as APFT, ruck march, written exam, ASVAB scores on aptitude areas, etc) actually got to interview for the positions to get into a section and then attend a course to attain B4 qual.

Perhaps you should actually talk with a representative of the unit you want to join to get the "straight talk" from that unit, as opposed to simply pushing questions around here. And, as you mentioned, this (and similar) questions have been asked before, the new question is - did you even attempt to search previous posts at all? A Scout Sniper will have to be creative and a serious problem solver - able to act independantly and as a team (aka Sniper Team) - and be able to get things done and the mission accomplished with little or no outside support.

No one will make you a Sniper or a SDM if you do not have what it takes to begin with. If you do, and you continually are able to prove this, then you have a good shot (no pun intended) at realistically achieving this as a goal.
          Last edited by LRSU_Dog; November 9th, 2011, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Well thanks guys, and yes sir I actually had been searching "buns" off on google, this forum and other military forums for weeks but never really got the exact answers I had been searching for. Appreciate all the info, but is sdm marksman school fairly easier to get into? I understand u said these are competitive schools but is there a higher selection/ more slots for it?

Comment

Trey

SDM would be a little easier course to get to, but still as we all have mentioned you should be a strong infantryman first, and once again it relies on your command, mission and money and how you are as a troop. I suggest set that as one of your career goals but, just get thru 11B first and some good training and maybe a deployment, stay physically and mentally strong and always toward the top an always keep your ear out. I'm not saying you will but don't be a **** A@@, don't burn bridges don't undercut your command, and don't get upset and dwell on S!@# that doesn't go your way, you are part of a platoon and those guys need to know you got there back as they do yours and not just there to get yours or be a fast tracker. As LRSU says do some networking and find what units have DM's and or S/S platoons which should be all HHC's in Inf Bats and I think C troops in CAV, and I think there are only 2 LRSU's left ours here in Cali is Gone.

Good Luck

Comment

Appreciate all info everyone, thank you.

Comment

Working...
                X