X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential Impacts & Concerns

- What are the positive and negative impacts of the Guard on family life? General comments or observations in regards to the Guard and family would also be welcome.

- Comments on morality/ethics/professionalism in the Guard would be appreciated. I realize that this varies widely between individuals and units, but any insights would be helpful. An example of why this concerns me would be that of the people I know that are in the Guard, many mention quite often the excessive drinking (and associated activities that then occur) that goes on during a drill weekend.

Re: Potential Impacts & Concerns

I guess you never been on any military installation during the night and weekends.

Majority of military members drink just like your college crew. When I was in the Guard; a small contigent stayed after final formation on Sunday and drank liquor in the Armory. It was a very controlled environment and we took care of one another.

Overall, the Guard is a great, positive experience for the family. Especially the benefits, family days and other great events.

Comment

I havent been in that long, but what I have seen has been nothing but positive. Great people. Willing to bend over backwards to take care of each other.

Yes there is a little immaturity at times, but nothing that one would not expect seeing in an organization made up of a lot of folks 18-30 years old.

I know cops, nurses, accountants, doctors, and every other profession who serve in the Guard, and believe me I would join again in a heartbeat.

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far. In addition to responses addressing routine Guard life, I'd be particularly interested in replies addressing my previous questions in the context of a deployment.

Comment

Working...
        X