X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guard Life

I am currently in my third year of ROTC at my university. I have to put in my requests for active duty, Army Reserve, or National Guard pretty soon. Up until a few days ago, my heart was set on active duty, and then I started to feel a type of calling to serve my community as well as my country during my time as a soldier. So I have a question about the Guard that I didn’t see answered anywhere else on the forum. Guard service is usually described as “training just one weekend per month, and one two-week period each year.” ROTC is usually described as attending one hour of PT and one hour of Military Science class three days a week plus one 3 hour training exercise every week. Both definitions make these organizations sound fairly easy and not very time consuming. I have no experience with the Guard yet, but I can tell you that ROTC involves A LOT more than what I just listed. There is constantly information going up and down through the CoC via text messages, phone calls and emails. There are also little details that have to be done throughout the week to keep things running smoothly. Each and every day of the week, including Sundays, I am doing something with ROTC. My question is, how much extra work do Guard soldiers do other than drilling once a month, particularly company grade officers? What else does Guard service involve other than drill? Thanks in advance for the help and if anyone on here is a current Guard member who went through ROTC, a comparison post would be really nice.

Re: Guard Life

Most extra work you'll see, unless called up to serve the community or the Country, will be the day before drill, a couple days before AT, if your unit needs extra people throughout the day, or if you ask and receive.

Comment

Originally posted by Teuvil View Post
      Most extra work you'll see, unless called up to serve the community or the Country, will be the day before drill, a couple days before AT, if your unit needs extra people throughout the day, or if you ask and receive.
      This. Usually a couple days before drill. It's primarily dependent on the Command and Staff meeting for your BN. Then that information and guidance is passed down the chain of command.

For us, that Command and Staff meeting is usually on a Thursday the week before IDT. Then the company training meeting is the Monday or Tuesday before IDT.

With the impending drawdown for the Active component, the Guard is a better deal IMO.

Comment

The higher in rank you go, the less the Natl Guard becomes one weekend a month.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
          The higher in rank you go, the less the Natl Guard becomes one weekend a month.
          Really? Because, please, find me my BDE and DIV staff.

Comment

Originally posted by Teuvil View Post
            Really? Because, please, find me my BDE and DIV staff.
            Well, then again, the higher in rank you go the more slots are tied to AGR/Tech status it seems...

Comment

I was implying that the more rank/responsibility you obtain, more time is required of you.

Comment

Yeah, that "true" too

Comment

Working...
                X