X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMP and ROTC

Hey I've recently become very interested in the Guard and would like to have a plan set before I start college on how to become an officer. Basically I just need to know what I'm about to state is correct and a possible way to do do or if their are better ways.

So every one of my friends that I've always planned on going to college with are going to the local community college ICC which I myself had always planned to do myself. Then most of us are going to Mississippi State. ICC's tuition for in-county students are free so its basically free schooling. Only problem is they dont have an ROTC program so this is what I want to do. Go to my first two years at ICC, then take the summer leader training course (does this mean i dont have to take basic?)hopefully get the GRFD 2 year scholarship and (does this exclude you from montgomery gi bill or national guard kicker?) then do smp rotc at MSU. Does that sound right?

Re: SMP and ROTC

Originally posted by Luke Goff View Post
    Hey I've recently become very interested in the Guard and would like to have a plan set before I start college on how to become an officer. Basically I just need to know what I'm about to state is correct and a possible way to do do or if their are better ways.

So every one of my friends that I've always planned on going to college with are going to the local community college ICC which I myself had always planned to do myself. Then most of us are going to Mississippi State. ICC's tuition for in-county students are free so its basically free schooling. Only problem is they dont have an ROTC program so this is what I want to do. Go to my first two years at ICC, then take the summer leader training course (does this mean i dont have to take basic?)hopefully get the GRFD 2 year scholarship and (does this exclude you from montgomery gi bill or national guard kicker?) then do smp rotc at MSU. Does that sound right?
    The Montgomery GI Bill is ONLY for enlisted soldiers to use for their college education. If you do not enlist you will not be eligible for the GI Bill OR the Kicker. You can knock out your basics at ICC and then go to LTC for the ROTC program if you want, the LTC will satisfy your requirements so you can enroll into the ROTC Advanced Course but it is not a substitute for Basic Training, it's a substitute for the first two years of ROTC that you won't be taking because of you going to ICC.

Comment

So basically going to basic training before college is the only way to go into the program? I'm not against basic it's just I'm trying to find a way to do the ROTC program without falling behind in school by having to miss my first semester of college

Comment

You must complete basic AND AIT before you are eligible to receive the GI Bill. You can knock both of these out in one summer if you choose an MOS like 11B or 13B and that way you wouldn't have to miss any school.

Comment

College starts when you do. You cannot "fall behind" unless it's important to you to start when your friends from high school do. You can do SMP after attending Leaders Training Course (LTC) to make up for not completing the first two years of ROTC (the Basic Course); however you will not be eligible for the GI Bill. If you go the route suggested by RSP NCO, you can avail yourself of the additional benfit of the GI Bill.

Comment

As a further point, completing Basic and AIT qualifies a Soldier for the MGIB, as well as counts for credit for the first two years of ROTC; whereas completion of ROTC's LTC course means nothing outside of ROTC-land.

Originally posted by MAJ Powers View Post
            College starts when you do.
            What a great line. So simple, so profound, and so relevant.

Comment

The website says it would take 10 weeks of basic and 5-8 weeks of AIT. Even if this is the shortest AIT this would never get me back in time to start in the fall. I definitely want to start in the fall rather than the spring because of dorm deadlines and a lot of other stuff like that. Would you suggest just waiting til the next fall? Also if I am enlisted and received the GRFD scholarship will I also receive the GI bill?

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Goff View Post
                The website says it would take 10 weeks of basic and 5-8 weeks of AIT. Even if this is the shortest AIT this would never get me back in time to start in the fall. I definitely want to start in the fall rather than the spring because of dorm deadlines and a lot of other stuff like that. Would you suggest just waiting til the next fall? Also if I am enlisted and received the GRFD scholarship will I also receive the GI bill?
                Trust me...people do this every summer. They go to basic and AIT and get back in time to start school. This isnt something new you'd be trying.

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
                  Trust me...people do this every summer. They go to basic and AIT and get back in time to start school. This isnt something new you'd be trying.
                  Very True. About 95% of all my enlistments leave in May and return in the last week of August or 1st week of September

11B 15 weeks 3 days. Fits perfectly

Comment

If I were you, I would enlist and go thru with basic and AIT. You'll be eligible for MGIB-SR, military tuition assistance programs, you'll have on average a couple hundred more bucks each month from drill, and you will be exempt from the first two years of ROTC as well that seems worth missing one semester of school at most to me.
                    Last edited by LoneStarSoldier; November 4th, 2011, 01:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X