Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

National guard vs active duty army? NEED HELP!!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National guard vs active duty army? NEED HELP!!

Hey my names mike and I want to join the military, I went and talked to the recruiter at the national guard and it seemed cool but than I asked for a tutor for the asvab (my friend got it threw his recruiter) and the guy said no I was kinda turned off by that...Yes passing the asvab is a big problem for me due to the class's I was in in highschool didn't teach me anything. I was than thinking about going down and talking to the active duty army to see my options there, how do the benefits differ between both? What should a 19 year old do as a better choice that just wants to be able to have money for school and do something with himself? with hopefully living lol

Re: National guard vs active duty army? NEED HELP!!

Originally posted by mikeL View Post
    Hey my names mike and I want to join the military, I went and talked to the recruiter at the national guard and it seemed cool but than I asked for a tutor for the asvab (my friend got it threw his recruiter) and the guy said no I was kinda turned off by that...Yes passing the asvab is a big problem for me due to the class's I was in in highschool didn't teach me anything. I was than thinking about going down and talking to the active duty army to see my options there, how do the benefits differ between both? What should a 19 year old do as a better choice that just wants to be able to have money for school and do something with himself? with hopefully living lol
    You can pickup a ASVAB booklet at your local Barnes and Nobles store. I picked up the Kaplan's edition, and I practiced a bit from it and did well on the actual ASVAB.

National Guard is a part-time job. One weekend a month, plus two weeks every year in the summer. Active-Duty is like a full-time job. I believe National Guard offers a bit more benefits, in terms of education, than does Active-Duty. Someone correct me if wrong.

Comment

From someone who has served in all components (now active-duty); all components come with excellent educational benefits. On active-duty, you have university and college reps residing on post to personally assist with your education goals so that is a plus in my book.

I received my associates and bachelors while in the Guard and my masters while on active duty.

The ASVAB is a test that is required for all branches and components; qualifying scores are the same for the Army and the Army National Guard. The other services have require a different AFQT for qualifying.

Focus on that test because if you cannot pass it; you cannot get in.

Comment

hey,

when you grab your asvab study guide @ barnes & noble, keep the receipt. do NOT write in the book or damage / destroy it, and just return it once your done studying. That's what I told all my applicants that had asvab problems. our area just HAPPENED TO HAVE an asvab study group for almost an hour every wednesday (i believe) but there is not OFFICAL tutor...you have to take it amongst yourself to prepare yourself for the test. GOOD LUCK BROTHER!

Comment

Or he could go to the public library.

***Don't listen to that SGT Bart guy.......LOL jk.......he's awesome.

Comment

Working...
          X