X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camp Spann, Afghanistan

I will soon be leaving for Camp Mike Spann in Afghanistan. Without getting into any OPSEC violations, can anyone with first-hand experience there fill me in on the amenities offered at Spann (gym, PX situation, DFAC, other "creature comforts", etc.)?

Re: Camp Spann, Afghanistan

Creature comforts... like goats? Don't think they came out with a policy repealing that, friend.

Comment

You will find what you mentioned at a built-up FOB; even a FOB in its early stages.

You can google your answer like I did. I was in Bagram, Kabul, Herat, Kandahar and those places had all that you mentioned.

Good luck on your journey

http://afghanomlt.blogspot.com/2009/...ike-spann.html <--a blog

Comment

All the major bases have everything you've listed or need. Even the bases that are the central hub of a province, but not as large as say Bagram or KAF, will have all the amenities. If you're going to a small FOB or even a COP (like where I'm at), chances are you'll either have limited amenities, missing an amenity or two, or you'll have them but in a "downgraded" form. Such as where I'm at, the we ask the locals who work on the COP to bring us what we want. We have no PX. Our DFAC isn't contracted out. The food is cooked by an Army soldier, and we don't have a variety to choose from, except the choice of whether or not to eat it. We have a gym, a decent one that serves as our **** shelter when we take incoming. We have an MWR building, but nothing nice like a USO.

So I hope this gives you some insight at least what to expect. I've never heard of Camp Spann and due to OPSEC, you probably don't want to tell me what Province it's in.

Comment

dont know if you left yet but it will have everything to make your time there go by fast. from full DFAC, gym, to laundry service to MWR facilities. Be prepared to walk on rocks though. It wont be as nice as German Camp Marmal, though so enjoy it while you're there. Mazar-E-Sharif is an important part of history in the war in Afghanistan. Read the book Horse Soldiers and read about Johnny "Mike" Spann, the CIA officer who was KIA and the camp was named for.

Comment

Working...
          X