X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overseas Service Ribbion ??

Greetings all this is aimed for some senior troops on here or some that recived recently. I have read all over the web about the OSR being awarded along with a Campagin medal. I served in OIF and was awarded my ICM and some other stuff. I just transfered back from the Air Guard. Can anyone tell me how and where to get the OSR added. My gaining unit said they didnt know and to contact my old unit I deployed with. How is it awarded to you , I was Medevacd and didnt do a whole year, but read somwhere that I am still eligible, because I it was a t no fault of my own. can anyone help?? I found my Deployment Orders My ICM,CIB,VUA,ARCOM w/V, and Release Orders due to being stop lossed. That is all I have. Can anyone help, I would like to apply it. Thanks in advance.'

Sgt. W

Re: Overseas Service Ribbion ??

AR 61430, Overseas Service, 30 March 2010: Figure 3-2, pg 13. "if a Soldier serves In TCS, TDY, or PCS status overseas and evacuates to and is hospitalized in CONUS or at area of residence, or evacuates for medical reasons to and is contained in offshore hospital longer than the theater policy when the cause of evacuation is one or more of the following:
    a. Wounds resulting from enemy or hostile action
    b. Injury determined to be in line of duty
    c. Disease determined to be in the line of duty (includes HIV
    positive Soldiers)
    d. Aggravation of one of the above previously existing conditions
    (regardless of the LOD status of the basic condition)
    determined to be in the line of duty
    Then credit with a completed tour and award a new DEROS."

AR 600-8-22, Military Awards, 11 December 2006: Overseas Service Ribbon
    Para 5-4a. Effective 1 August 1981, all members of the Active Army, Army National Guard and Army Reserve in an active Reserve status are eligible for this award.
    5-4c: Soldiers must be credited with a normal overseas tour completion according to AR 61430.

First reg confirms you are eligible for completed tour credit. Second reg confirms your are eligible for the OSR. Supporting documentation regarding the MEDEVAC would be helpful to get this added to your ERB.

Comment

I can't speak for the National Guard in this instance, but it sounds to me like your gaining unit is ignorant of the regs. The unit you deployed with does not need to produce any further documentation. Your S1 section should be able to update your ERB based on the regs and your supporting documents. On active duty this is a SIDPERS transaction by either the S1 shop or the supporting PSB.

Comment

Your message isn't clear, but I presume that you served in an Army component while in OIF. Sometimes people from other services want to get an Army decoration for their service in another component. Former Marines in the Guard sometimes went to get combat patches for their USMC service, which is not possible, since the USMC doesn't award combat patches (the Army does award combat patches for Soldiers attached to USMC units in combat).

Generally, any decoration with the word "service" in it requires no special order. Your service record substantiates the award. A sharp admin clerk will document that on a single memorandum for you, listing your service awards with a reference to the regulation.

Since these regulations can play tricks on the uninitiated, I recommend scheduling some time with an admin clerk to review your record with asn eye towards capturing your service awards.

Comment

Originally posted by MAJ Powers View Post
          I can't speak for the National Guard in this instance, but it sounds to me like your gaining unit is ignorant of the regs. The unit you deployed with does not need to produce any further documentation. Your S1 section should be able to update your ERB based on the regs and your supporting documents. On active duty this is a SIDPERS transaction by either the S1 shop or the supporting PSB.
          I am in agreement with you. The system though is now called eMILPO. Seems like my last unit stateside was ignorant as well. I got the OSR added for OIF recently even though I was there in 2005. OEF and Germany added it. If you were in another branch that served overseas, you could get that time for the Army OSR. My campaign stars were automatically added on my ORB for OIF and OEF but the second campaign stars that I rate do not show so I have to fix that as well.
          Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; September 17th, 2011, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Thanks Gents

for the help, I was there in OIF 05' with the guard got jacked up ,fixed , Return to duty then got released from service in 06' cause I was Stop Lossed. And went to Air Guard after that, and now back in Army guard. My question I guess is what do I need to provide to have S-1 to annotate or qualify for the OSR . My deployment Order and Release Order to show I was there. I think I am confused on how it works. Sorry.

Sgt W

Comment

The deployment and release orders, along with the references in AR 614-30 and AR 600-8-22 should be all that are needed. If the personnel folks want additional info, any thing in your medical records that indicates you were Medevac'd should do it.

Comment

Working...
              X