Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Very interested in the NC national guard. Couple of questions for current/ex guards.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very interested in the NC national guard. Couple of questions for current/ex guards.

Hey thanks for taking the time to look at my post and answering some of my questions.

I'm currently a Junior in college, my original plan was to wait until I graduate from school and then go Active Duty Army, but I'm getting antsy and I'm tired of waiting so I looked into the National Guard. I want to be an infantryman and my recruiter said he has plenty of open slots for me.

My questions are,

How difficult will it be to go from NG to AD Army once I graduate from school? My recruiter was very touchy on the subject and he tried to avoid the question.

My recruiter said that most likely I will end up in the 120th infantry unit. Anyone here in the 120th or know anything about them?

What is the avarage age for 11b in the NG? From the pictures ive seen it seems that most people in the guard are a little older (no offense). I'm 23 and was wondering if I will be out of place?

What are the drill weekends like for 11b? Will I get to play around in the mud and stuff or is it mostly grab assing and administrative stuff?

When I was 16 I got an underage drinking ticket and a DWI citation (not really sure what that is, I never got arrested, lost my license an my insurance didn't go up either) I moved my girlfriends car because it was blocking my driveway and as I got out of the car a cop who was patrolling the street stopped me. I ended up blowing a .04. I just had to pay a fine an take some stupid alcohol class. How will this affect me?

I'm currently 6ft and weigh 220lbs but I'm only 12% BF. I've been lifting weights for years and I'm in great shape plus I'm strong as **** (not trying to blow my own horn). How will this affect me since I'm above the weight limit for my height.

Does anyone qualify for the tuition help? My family is well off but I would still like to get finacial help for school.

Thats all I can think off for now, thank you very much for any help and god bless America.

Re: Very interested in the NC national guard. Couple of questions for current/ex guar

While 11B is the shortest school, the state of NC will send you to BCT & AIT and will foot the bill. If you then go AD right away, they would get very little for their investment. This is probably why your recruiter is touchy on the subject. No one wants to knowingly be just a stepping stone. Even though a lot of it comes from federal NGB funds, everyone is still restricted by budget and can only send a certain number of soldiers to a certain number of classes every year, including IET.

Comment

Re: Very interested in the NC national guard. Couple of questions for current/ex guar

Nathan,

Thank you very much for your reply. That totally makes sense and is perfectly understandable looking at it from the states perspective. I did some more reading and it seems in a lot of cases, the earliest a state is usually willing to sign over their guards is about two years. I talked to an Army recruiter and he said the process is a pain in the *** and most recruiters could give two sh**s about guards since they dont get any credit for signing up prior service guys. Is this true?
      Last edited by matthew.ritchie; September 15th, 2011, 01:19 PM.

Comment

anyone else??

Comment

bumppp

Comment

Originally posted by Brust88 View Post
            Hey thanks for taking the time to look at my post and answering some of my questions.
            • How difficult will it be to go from NG to AD Army once I graduate from school? My recruiter was very touchy on the subject and he tried to avoid the question.
            It's not terribly difficult. All you have to do is fill out one little slip of paper (the DD 368). However, you're also looking at that one piece of paper needing to be approved by your commander, their commander, and on up to the state level. Then, if that wasn't enough, you need to also find an active duty unit that needs people. I've heard of people being able to get it done in 6 months, and I've heard of people submitting the paperwork and not being able to get the transfer for years. It's very hit or miss, and it's mostly up to your commander.
            • My recruiter said that most likely I will end up in the 120th infantry unit. Anyone here in the 120th or know anything about them?
            • What are the drill weekends like for 11b? Will I get to play around in the mud and stuff or is it mostly grab assing and administrative stuff?
            Sorry, nope. I'm not infantry, nor am I in that unit.
            • What is the avarage age for 11b in the NG? From the pictures ive seen it seems that most people in the guard are a little older (no offense). I'm 23 and was wondering if I will be out of place?
            From the people I know in infantry units, they keep telling me that infantry is a young man's game. This isn't official or anything, but as long as you're in shape, you should be good to go.

• When I was 16 I got an underage drinking ticket and a DWI citation (not really sure what that is, I never got arrested, lost my license an my insurance didn't go up either) I moved my girlfriends car because it was blocking my driveway and as I got out of the car a cop who was patrolling the street stopped me. I ended up blowing a .04. I just had to pay a fine an take some stupid alcohol class. How will this affect me?
            If you're just going for infantry, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It'll effect your ability to get a clearance, but for the most part, you should be good. I would be prepared to take the full blame for it if it comes up when you explain what happened, but otherwise, you SHOULD BE okay.

• I'm currently 6ft and weigh 220lbs but I'm only 12% BF. I've been lifting weights for years and I'm in great shape plus I'm strong as **** (not trying to blow my own horn). How will this affect me since I'm above the weight limit for my height.
            You'll pass the BMI requirement. Sure, you're a little over on the poundage, but when they give you the BMI test, you'll be okay. We aren't going to turn you down for being yoked out.
            • Does anyone qualify for the tuition help? My family is well off but I would still like to get finacial help for school.
            Yes. You'll get TA as soon as you enlist, and your GI Bill the instant you complete BCT and AIT. Mostly, I would grill your recruiter about the benefits your state offers when it comes to what your state offers.

Hope that information helps.
            Last edited by Moore; September 19th, 2011, 06:27 PM. Reason: Brain hiccup and an incomplete sentence.

Comment

Moore,

Thank you very much for post, it is very informative.

Comment

Any time!

It's been my experience that well informed soldiers are the best ones to have with you, so if you have more questions, ask away. The more prepared you are, the less of a shock or surprise anything will be.

Comment

Working...
                X