X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tough question

I'm a senior in high school and i signed up for Active Duty... I am considering ROTC and the Guard so that i can get an education and become a combat officer after i graduate. My recruiter is giving me guff for the fact that i will be a "weekend warrior" and not have any use or respect from the NCO's. what do i do??? I really want my education and i will be applying for Ranger/Airborne/Air Assault/Special Forces.. everything i can get my hands on for training. Any advice is greatly helpful

Re: Tough question

If you have already contracted with Active Army then you will not be able to attend ROTC or enlist with the Army National Guard.
    Plus if you really want to pursue all of those schools or training. You would be better served continuing with the Active Army.

Comment

You should make decisions based on your own career goals. Your active component recruiter could be jealous of you.

Comment

is it still possible to go to Acitve Duty after college?? my uncle is a Major and he said it would be no problem going Active after college and i could get all the training i want to.

Comment

Originally posted by gabriel.waldhoff View Post
          is it still possible to go to Acitve Duty after college?? my uncle is a Major and he said it would be no problem going Active after college and i could get all the training i want to.
          You just said you signed up for active duty already. Why do you keep talking about college, you have joined active duty already. You can do college when your active duty time is up.

Comment

He may have signed he intial contract but we all know for AD, it is not binding until he goes to MEPS again to depart for his BCT. He can decide to change his mind at any time up until then... And when that happens, his recruiter will be upset, but that's it. His physical and MEPS stuff will be good for NG.

Comment

Continue down your active duty path. Serve 4 years and learn how to be an effective conventional infantryman. After 4 years get out, go to college using the post 9/11 GI bill and go ROTC at that time. That way you will have a decent income(for a college student) from the GI Bill and possibly an ROTC scholarship. This way you can focus on getting good grades in school and excelling in ROTC. If you want to go active duty again after that than you can.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
                Continue down your active duty path. Serve 4 years and learn how to be an effective conventional infantryman. After 4 years get out, go to college using the post 9/11 GI bill and go ROTC at that time. That way you will have a decent income(for a college student) from the GI Bill and possibly an ROTC scholarship. This way you can focus on getting good grades in school and excelling in ROTC. If you want to go active duty again after that than you can.
                I am sorry but I will fully have to disagree with this. There is absolutly no reason to put off your education for 4 years to serve 4 years on AD as a lower enlisted. So many things can change and then effect your path.

Go ROTC, do 4 years of college. If you want join the guard and go to 11B between the summer of MS1 and MS2 year. You will get the experience of a infantryman while you are in school. It will prepare you more for LDAC as well as being a good LT.

If you have the ability, the drive, and the motivation to do college right now get it done.

Being enlisted gives you experience but it does not make or break you as an Officer.

Once you commision out of ROTC you can go to the Active Army.

Guard time, ROTC, LDAC, IOBC and listening to your Platoon Sergeant will make you an excelent Platoon Leader... If you are a spounge and soak up all the information and knowledge, and have the humility to except and listen to advice of your NCOs when you get to your first unit after IOBC.

And during ROTC you can still go to Air Assualt and Airborne schools.

Once you go to IOBC you will pretty much be guarenteed a Ranger slot if you want it. ( None of the 11A that commision out of ROTC have I seen not get a ranger slot if they are good enough)

Special Forces you will have to wait before you can go to Selection until at LEASE 1LT promotable, bust most likely after you go to Captains Career Course and go to Manuvers.

Comment

My plans are to join the NG as Infantry opt. 40, go to Basic/AIT over the summer and go to ROTC/college for 4 years. Air assault and airborne school will come later as will LDAC. I appreciate all the advice and i will benefit from the information i have gathered. Thanks alot.
                  I do think that is is ridiculous for a recruiter to say however that " ROTC cadets are given their rank and dont know anything about what the true army is. ask them to do a field mission in Iraq and they will get you killed cause they dont know anything but the books they read in college."

Comment

Working...
                  X