X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible to sign up for the NG in another state

I'm trying to move to Kentucky to move closer to my fiance. I've been exploring my career options, including the Guard, and I was wondering if it was possible to join Kentucky's NG without yet living in Kentucky (I currently live in Maryland). Thanks ahead of time for any help you guys can give me!

Re: Possible to sign up for the NG in another state

As long as you are willing to travel between states to make it to drill. I know a handfull of people that live in my state but are members of the National Guard in Texas, New Mexico, California, Utah and Colorado. Just know that it will be your responsibility to get to drill on time with the right gear and the right uniform.

I've considered transfering to another state while still living in my current home state. It has to be the right unit to justify the traveling. Good news is you can write off traveling expenses on your taxes. Rental car, gas etc. Just need to hold onto your reciepts and documentation. I think plane tickets might even qualify but I would have to look into it to be sure.

Comment

I currently live in New York and nest week the Alaska National Guard is flying me up for three days to go to MEPS and sign then they are flying me back to New York until I ship. After I go to BCT/AIT they are flying me up to Alaska which is where I am moving. So if you plan to move to Kentucky you should be able to join into one of their unit and have them help pay for your move.

Comment

Originally posted by FireRescue View Post
        I currently live in New York and nest week the Alaska National Guard is flying me up for three days to go to MEPS and sign then they are flying me back to New York until I ship. After I go to BCT/AIT they are flying me up to Alaska which is where I am moving. So if you plan to move to Kentucky you should be able to join into one of their unit and have them help pay for your move.
        Careful there, you are putting out bad information. State's just cant just pay for your move. Alaska is a little different ball game then other states because they have to fly to get anywhere basically so they can fly you up there.

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
          Careful there, you are putting out bad information. State's just cant just pay for your move. Alaska is a little different ball game then other states because they have to fly to get anywhere basically so they can fly you up there.
          If your position is covered under the Low Density Recruiting Program, then I think they can.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
            If your position is covered under the Low Density Recruiting Program, then I think they can.
            That is interesting news. I am now interested in Guam, Puerto Rico and Hawaii.

Comment

Working...
            X