X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deploying with other NG units.

Hey ya'll! I'm back with another stupid question.

I'm prior service and just joined the Guard. I havent even been to my first drill yet.

My unit is deployed to Iraq right now, but when they get back, word is they wont be deployed again for another 3-4 years.

I didnt really join to train for three years and get out... some guys I talked to told me that its possible to deploy with other National Guard units.

Has anyone done this before? I just want some insight on the whole process... is it hard to get done?

Re: Deploying with other NG units.

No question is stupid. OK.....well some are, but yours is not.

Someone on here will be able to advise you of your options. I, personally, would suggest to reenlist!

BTW, I love your login name....but your signature is nasty! LOL I let out an audible 'eeewwww' when I read it.

Good Luck & welcome to the forum.

Comment

Re: Deploying with other NG units.

Originally posted by BaconSammich View Post
      Hey ya'll! I'm back with another stupid question.

I'm prior service and just joined the Guard. I havent even been to my first drill yet.

My unit is deployed to Iraq right now, but when they get back, word is they wont be deployed again for another 3-4 years.

I didnt really join to train for three years and get out... some guys I talked to told me that its possible to deploy with other National Guard units.

Has anyone done this before? I just want some insight on the whole process... is it hard to get done?
      There are a number of options that you have.

The first, and best route is that hopefully your state has other units getting ready to go over. States frequently cross load their own people to bring units to full strentgh before a mobilization. Your unit full time personell should have the info to see if that is a possibility. So start with your readiness NCO.

You can also log into GKO and then subsequently Tour of Duty, where you will find a list of tours that you can match up with your rank and MOS and volunteer, however your state will have to approve this.

There is also a link in GKO that states "volunteer for a deployment" and instruction on how to volunteer, again your state would still have to approve of this.

Lastly, if your state wont let you go, and you find/know of a unit that is due to leave from another state, you can be sneaky and Interstate Transfer into the new state under the guise of your relocation in order to mobilize, I have done that in the past, however realise that you may be stuck in the new state upon its return.

Comment

Working...
      X