Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Special Schools, Cant due to funding!?!?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Schools, Cant due to funding!?!?

Hey every one,

been hitting up my recruiter asking questions. And I asked him today what special schools would be opened to me after OCS. And he said that it would depend on my PT and state funding....

I asked him again, CAN I GET IT ON MY CONTRACT....he said chances are, NO, it depends on state funding...

This true? or he bsing me?

Re: Special Schools, Cant due to funding!?!?

No. The fact that he's not willing to make you a promise he can't keep should give you confidence. The Army sends Soldiers to special schools based on funding, but before that unit commanders decide the priorities based on the good of the force. Where you will fall in that priority and funding list two or three years from now is completely unpredictable.

Comment

It all comes down to funding. It will also depend largely on what your MOS is and if there is an ASI assigned to your slot, as there really isn't much benefit to send a finance officer to Ranger School.

Comment

I've heard of state's doing their own schools such as air assault, is that true?

Comment

I remember reading this a long time ago.

http://airassault.bizhosting.com/guardtrn.html

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
            I've heard of state's doing their own schools such as air assault, is that true?
            Virginia does this. Depending on the size and expertise within the State's RTI, the Air Assault proponent will certify the State to run a course in its home state. It's an ATRRS course, so anyone with a quota can attend, although it's most convenient for the Soldiers who live closer.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
              Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
              Virginia does this. Depending on the size and expertise within the State's RTI, the Air Assault proponent will certify the State to run a course in its home state. It's an ATRRS course, so anyone with a quota can attend, although it's most convenient for the Soldiers who live closer.
              +1. The Army National Guard Warrior Training Center has mobile teams that travel and conduct courses for Air Assault and Pathfinder. Just like LTC stated the state has to get certified to run the course. Basically you need an adequate training area and an aviation unit that can participate in the training. Some people within my state are trying to do this so we can have a Pathfinder coure held here. We have the aviation units that would love to be apart of it and we have a great training camp but it's not certified just yet. May be another year or two out before it will be.

Comment

huh, high speed, thanks SGT.

Comment

HOOAH, I just didn't know how difficult to get orders for something like that. If it is easier to go to your own state, or the regular site?

I know they don't like to send Chaplain Candidates to anything because we do not have contracts, I was thinking maybe next year after I get's me ol cross, and sign me life for the next 6.

Comment

Its easier for your state to send you to a local course, hands down. Especially for a course like Pathfinder or Air Assault you could send soldiers who are not assigned that ASI on the UMR to the course as an award for high PT, retention incentive, award for NCO/soldier of the year/quarter etc.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
                      +1. The Army National Guard Warrior Training Center has mobile teams that travel and conduct courses for Air Assault and Pathfinder. Just like LTC stated the state has to get certified to run the course. Basically you need an adequate training area and an aviation unit that can participate in the training. Some people within my state are trying to do this so we can have a Pathfinder coure held here. We have the aviation units that would love to be apart of it and we have a great training camp but it's not certified just yet. May be another year or two out before it will be.

I am trying to get a pathfinder slot and they sent a traveling team to Vincenza early this year but I needed to get funded to pay my travel and room. What I got was "how is you getting qualified going to benefit our unit?". So it was a no-go but let us see when I am at the 4th Infantry Division if I will be able to pull it.

Comment

I know in VA this year, they allowed units to send soldiers that wanted to attend AA to a one weekend "Pre-Air Assault" drill. There they basically had them do the AA confidience course and the PT test. Those that made it through were offered the chance to attend AA school a few months later. They did this to be able to screen out all those who wouldn't make it past the first day anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                          I am trying to get a pathfinder slot and they sent a traveling team to Vincenza early this year but I needed to get funded to pay my travel and room. What I got was "how is you getting qualified going to benefit our unit?". So it was a no-go but let us see when I am at the 4th Infantry Division if I will be able to pull it.
                          There I'd bet they will send you. Pathfinder is a very usefull skill on todays battlefield. Plus you can turn around and teach other soldiers the skills you learned there, thats the benefit to the unit.

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
                          I know in VA this year, they allowed units to send soldiers that wanted to attend AA to a one weekend "Pre-Air Assault" drill. There they basically had them do the AA confidience course and the PT test. Those that made it through were offered the chance to attend AA school a few months later. They did this to be able to screen out all those who wouldn't make it past the first day anyways.
                          Thats a pretty good idea. The majority of drop outs in the class I attended were due to not passing zero day and the sling load test.

Comment

I've always wondered this myself and I was hoping someone would be able to provide a reference to the following...

So we always hear that funding won't allow us to send soldiers to such and such courses but does anyone have a definitive guide or summary on how funding actually works in the National Guard? I understand it's a very broad question.

How is our entire budget allocated? How is funding transferred to buy seats in ATTRS? How much do schools such as Ranger, Air Assault, Airborne cost for the state? Specifically if they are run by Active Duty or the NGB? etc. Why can't we send or subsidize training that doesn't fall under ATTRS listing but are run by highly re****ble civilian sources such as US Training Center, etc.

Without an actual solid understanding of how funding works, it's hard to ask targeted questions. Ie. You look at your orders and there's a bunch of numbers and letters that look like account #s etc.

Comment

You see, Wal-Mart decides how much they want to give to the US Government. Then, Wal-Mart employees create a flow chart on where the money goes.

Comment

Working...
                              X