Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth a shot?

Hello all.

So long story short. I have a strong desire to join the guard, most likely as an offcer, already have >90 credits and I am graduating in one year.

But I have a question. A long time ago, ages 3-5 I had a series of operations to remove polyps from my vocal chords and today I have a hoarse voice. The perceived severity of it seems subjective to the person listening. Some think nothing of it, others think I just have laryngitis all the time.

I know you can disqualified by having some issue that affects your speech. But I can talk and communicate just as well as anyone. I've done all the presentations and what-not you're required to do in school and work. So it's never held me back.

Just wondering if the ARNG would be a bit more apprehensive.

Re: Is it worth a shot?

Can people understand you when you speak? If so, then you're OK.

Talking like Brenda Vaccaro isn't a disqualifying condition.

Comment

I had a 1SG who always sounded like he had laryngitis. He said he had been that way since he was a little kid. He never had a problem.

Comment

Several years ago I had a team leader who had a stutter. I was really suprised that he was let in the Army at all and active duty infantry none the less. Interesting thing about him was when **** got hot in training and in theater his stutter disappeared and you could hear him clear as crystal. It wasn't too bad from day to day but it was obviously present. If he could get in I see no reason why you can't.
        Last edited by Explosive Hazard; May 26th, 2011, 12:11 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by SteelRain View Post
          Hello all.

So long story short. I have a strong desire to join the guard, most likely as an offcer, already have >90 credits and I am graduating in one year.

But I have a question. A long time ago, ages 3-5 I had a series of operations to remove polyps from my vocal chords and today I have a hoarse voice. The perceived severity of it seems subjective to the person listening. Some think nothing of it, others think I just have laryngitis all the time.

I know you can disqualified by having some issue that affects your speech. But I can talk and communicate just as well as anyone. I've done all the presentations and what-not you're required to do in school and work. So it's never held me back.

Just wondering if the ARNG would be a bit more apprehensive.
          If your desire is to serve, it is totally worth a shot... sounds like you will be fine. Talk to a recruiter and get going!

Good luck,
          MG

Comment

Current vocal chord polyps is disqualifying, history of them is not (unless you also had something wrong with your larynx as a whole). As long as you can make yourself heard and understood, you should not need a waiver for this.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
              Can people understand you when you speak? If so, then you're OK.

Talking like Brenda Vaccaro isn't a disqualifying condition.
              LTC, I was a very big fan of hers when I growing up because I loved her voice. I liked her role in Airport 77.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                LTC, I was a very big fan of hers when I growing up because I loved her voice. I liked her role in Airport 77.
                I was hoping someone would remember her. She was also the voice of the angel in "Nestor, the Long-Eared Christmas Donkey." They never show that Christmas special on TV anymore, because it dares to mention Jesus (it's His birthday, after all). I still can't watch it without crying my eyes out.
                Last edited by matthew.ritchie; May 27th, 2011, 10:16 PM. Reason: added link

Comment

Hey all

Thanks for the awesome and encouraging information. I'm a bit more hoarse than Brenda Vacarro, but still audible. :P

I'll be sure to post again on my progress and the outcome, if the question ever arises again.

Comment

Working...
                  X