Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSO Reduction and Stabilization for joining the NG.

I am an active duty Army soldier who is ETSing at the end of July after 5 years of active duty service. I just spoke with my Reserve Component Career Counselor (mandatory for ETSing soldiers), and she said that if I decided to sign up for the guard before my ETS date, then I would be able to get my 3 years of remaining Military Service Obligation (MSO) reduced to 17 months, and that I would be able to get 24 months of stabilization (non-deployable), basically making me non-deployable for my remaining MSO. I want to know if this is legit, or if it is a recruiter saying anything to sign another soldier. Will the MSO reduction cancel out the stabilization, or vice versa? I am just wondering if there is anyone out there who has gone through this situation, knows someone who has gone through this situation, or who is knowledgable about these benefits. I appreciate any feedback.

Re: MSO Reduction and Stabilization for joining the NG.

I cannot tell you if this is still in effect, but I can tell you that when I was recruiting for the Guard a few years ago we had in place what you have just described. A current OSM can best comment on the current situation.

Whatever else, I encourage you NOT to spend any time in the IRR. Either stay active, or get into a Guard unit, but don't spend any time in the IRR. At least if you mobilize with a unit, you have people you know who care about you. Mobilizing with the IRR means that you're the rented mule.

Comment

Working...
    X