X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Depression

Slowy? You just enlisted as 19D last fall!!!

It hasn't even been one year!!!

Do you not think, they've not heard this story before?

An upcoming deployment and suddenly all the CO's come out from everywhere.

Just be honest you want out of the Army.
    Last edited by Chaplain4me; May 15th, 2011, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Honestly, it sounds like you're trying to come up with as many reasons to get out as possible. I am going to bet an upcoming deployment is triggering a lot of this. I was your age when I was alerted for mine and I went through similiar thoughts.

CO status is hard to prove. If you can find someone that succeeded in that...let me know.

Comment

[QUOTE=SteveLord;146934]Honestly, it sounds like you're trying to come up with as many reasons to get out as possible. I am going to bet an upcoming deployment is triggering a lot of this. I was your age when I was alerted for mine and I went through similiar thoughts. [QUOTE]

+1. OP- Many Soldiers join thinking about the education benefits, getting girls with the uniform, or whatever else people come up with, but don't stop to think about deployment. This seems to be something along those lines. I'm not saying you joined for the wrong reasons, there is no wrong reason to join if it's what motivates you. However you didn't fully think it through. Now that you have been notified for deployment you're scared. Again, you need to think about everything before you freak out and go into a downward spiral.
        -You don't know what your mission is. you could be guarding a prison for all you know. Our last deployment was that, and all day everyday was moving prisoners back and forth between cells, adding new ones, etc. Didn't even carry rifles. This was an infantry unit!
        -Alot happens before the deployment. Maybe you get promoted to a different unit that isn't deploying, maybe you're put on Rear Detachment.
        These are 2 examples and I didn't even think deep into it. So keep that in mind. However, don't try to get out of the military now because you are scared about a deployment. Everyone else in your unit that hasn't gone downrange is scared too, and even people who have gone downrange will be as well. Fright is in the unknown.

If killing someone is whats worrying you, talk to your unit about changing your MOS. There are plenty of MOS that don't go out looking for a fight. But in all honesty, now that you have been notified for a deployment... Don't expect to get out unless you have a REAL REAL GOOD reason. Your unit and leadership are aware of the fear that strikes people, and aren't going to be easy to convince to get you out.

Comment

With my experience as well with many leaders on this forum; we all have witnessed soldiers in our unit try to get out of a deployment. We are told as leaders not to make that immediate assumption that their issue is not legit but to listen to our troops and get them the assistance they require.

I had a soldier before my last deployment claim PTSD at our SRP. Rumor had it that he was pulling that card so he could get out of the deployment. He served in Iraq before and appeared fine in our section.

The doctor made the call and he remained on rear-D and really hindered our section to initially accomplish the mission. How one person could affect your shop when you do 24 hour ops and require more than 100 percent manning can go to show how each soldier counts.

We returned almost a year ago and now he is soon to ETS. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and put those rumors to rest. But now he wants to go work downrange in Afghanistan as a civilian doing IT or logistical support and it just makes me wonder now. You couldn't go downrange as a soldier with us but you can as a civilian because six figures is an acceptable motivator?

Soldiers *sigh*
          Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; May 16th, 2011, 02:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post

CO status is hard to prove. If you can find someone that succeeded in that...let me know.
            Less than 300 cases approved for separation as CO since 2002.

Several go to Federal court for adjudication.

I recommend you google the name Desmond Doss. A Soldier who does not wish to carry a weapon can still be a warrior.

Comment

Very interesting article Major. Perhaps with his position on a submarine being far removed from front line combat with the unlikelihood of actually being ordered to fire a nuclear missile; assisted and justified the CO claim and subsequent discharge approval. But the level and extremity involved in presenting his case was no easy task. In addition; having the ACLU in your corner is always a good thing to have in issues such as these.
              Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; May 16th, 2011, 02:35 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
                Slowy? You just enlisted as 19D last fall!!!

It hasn't even been one year!!!

Do you not think, they've not heard this story before?

An upcoming deployment and suddenly all the CO's come out from everywhere.

Just be honest you want out of the Army.
                i haven't been notified of any deployment, i heard rumors of one.

i've thought about changing my mos because killing is just not something i want to do. i didn't think i'd have much a problem with it and i don't know what changed in me but something did to make me not want to ****.

i'm going back to my therapist in a week and i might bring up antidepressants. ive been trying to be happy, doing things that always made me happy, and they aren't working. medication could. i don't know.
                Last edited by todevastate; May 16th, 2011, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by todevastate View Post
                  i haven't been notified of any deployment, i heard rumors of one.

i've thought about changing my mos because killing is just not something i want to do. i didn't think i'd have much a problem with it and i don't know what changed in me but something did to make me not want to ****.

i'm going back to my therapist in a week and i might bring up antidepressants. ive been trying to be happy, doing things that always made me happy, and they aren't working. medication could. i don't know.
                  You need to contact your Chain of Command and speak to them about the situation. Go with other MOS' that you wouldn't mind switching to. Show them you have thought of alternative methods of serving without automatically asking to get out of the military.
                  Have you talked to anyone before the deployment rumors came up about not wanting to be in? Or did the deployment rumors scare you into deciding you weren't cut out for this lifestyle? -These are not questions I'm necessarily asking you to answer, but that you should be aware of because these are some of the questions your CoC may be thinking when you approach them

Comment

Working...
                  X