X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone with 12n experience?

I'm interested in joining as a horizontal construction engineer. My long term career goal is to be a heavy equipment operator (dozer operator) for a fire department (FS, BLM, CAL fire, or any county would be great). Currently I'm a seasonal Hotshot fire fighter on the Angeles National Forest so I do have some fire experience. I also have talked to a recruiter and gotten an 82 on my ASVAB.

I would like to know how much time I could potentially operate? I need lots of hours operating a dozer in mountainous terrain. Is there much chance to volunteer to deploy and really rack up the operating hours? I have heard from someone that there is a program to work construction on the border. Is this true? Another benefit would be the extra points from the veterans preference. How in the Guard can you become a fire dozer operator for when the fire departments need extra help during heavy fire seasons?

Thanks for your help. I know there are a lot of questions but I really want to know if this commitment will really help to progress my career.

Re: Anyone with 12n experience?

When your in AIT, You will learn a variety of equipment so dont sweat it. You will get plenty of hours and you could volunteer to deploy and get even more hours. Ive never done dozer work for fires but iam sure someone has and will be glad to help you. Sorry for the late response not very active on this forum anymore.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I'm getting closer to the possibility of enlisting. Anyone else have any info?

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtriding4life View Post
        I have heard from someone that there is a program to work construction on the border. Is this true?
        A few years ago when Operation Jump Start was in swing there were some positions with NG soldiers building parts of the fence. However, that has all pretty much come to a halt. At least in my state it has. There is a new border mission underway right now but with a purely observational and support role for CBP. No building going on. This same mission extends to all the southern border states but I don't know for certain if the others have stopped building their fence. The federal government doesn't want to pay for it right now.

Comment

There are alot of positive things to come with this MOS. I recently went to a class taught by Caterpillar on how to do a variety of things with the equipment, and that looks VERY good when your trying to get a job in that trade. If its what you wanna do go for it!

Comment

Double post
            Last edited by Dirtriding4life; February 2nd, 2012, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I think I'm going to enlist instead of working another season on the fire crew. I found a job posting for a 12n in Chico, Ca at this link... http://jobs.nationalguard.com/ngb/di...09.5644&page=1. Could I enlist with some sort of a guarantee I would get that job after I'm out of AIT? How long would the job last? Does anyone know what type of construction is going on at the listings is California? They are Chico, Sacramento and Camp Roberts.

Also, I what's required to get veterans preference? Would working that job qualify me or do you have to go overseas?

Comment

That link seems to be for the 12N MOS its self and not a full time active duty guard job. When you enlist you can get a guarantee for the MOS you want IF it is available at that time and you meet the requirements. For any job that is active guard be AGR or ADOS you will have to apply for the position after you have completed all your initial training(basic, AIT) and have the blessing of your command.

Comment

Okay. So if there is not a job listing for the nearest engineering unit I would have to travel to the nearest unit to get the MOS I want? For example, if there is not a 12N job posting in Azusa, I would have to travel to Camp Roberts (4 hours away) to drill?

Comment

I would ask the NCO in charge of that unit in Azusa, that would be the best place to get the info you need.

Comment

Working...
                    X