X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guard to Marine?

I really like the Guard and I'm going to join up with the Split Op at the end of this year. But it's been my lifelong dream of being a Marine, so I was wondering if I was in the Guard, and I wanted to change over, what would I have to do in order to switch over to the USMC? How long would it take? Would I have to wait until my contract (including IRR) is up? Could I maintain my pay grade between services? I'm interested because I just wanna be prepared for the future. Thanks to all.

Re: Guard to Marine?

Originally posted by Garcia1994 View Post
    I really like the Guard and I'm going to join up with the Split Op at the end of this year. But it's been my lifelong dream of being a Marine, so I was wondering if I was in the Guard, and I wanted to change over, what would I have to do in order to switch over to the USMC? How long would it take? Would I have to wait until my contract (including IRR) is up? Could I maintain my pay grade between services? I'm interested because I just wanna be prepared for the future. Thanks to all.
    If your giving serious thought to joining the Marine Corp you should join them first because consider this. If you go from the Guard to the Marine Corp you will still have to go through Marine Corp basic training but if you go Marines first then you will only have to do that basic training and not the Army basic training should you enlist in the Army after the Marine Corp.

Comment

Once you have completed your contracted period of service in the National Guard, you are welcome to enlist into any component that will have you. For the USMC, you will start from scratch along with the non-prior service recruits, and will likely lose one rank. You'll have fewer choices of MOS, slower promotions, and fewer incentives. You will, however, have the mystique.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
        Once you have completed your contracted period of service in the National Guard, you are welcome to enlist into any component that will have you. For the USMC, you will start from scratch along with the non-prior service recruits, and will likely lose one rank. You'll have fewer choices of MOS, slower promotions, and fewer incentives. You will, however, have the mystique.
        Dont forget the window decal!

Comment

why not join the Marines in the first place then? They are a bit more selective, so I am assuming something in your background keeping you from joining?

Comment

Well put Sir, that's why we have so many high speed Marines in the Guard.
            Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post

Comment

As a former Marine I can say this is a bad idea. Marines do not allow NCO's in boot camp, thus if you make E4 or above you will have your rank lowered to E3. Also the Marines do not prefer prior service (something I do not agree with).

Comment

They don't prefer prior service because they can't brainwash you You already know all the ********.

Comment

Working...
                X