X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unique TIS question.

I have a somewhat unique situation in regards to TIS.

I'm glossary non-prior service and have 4 months and 20 something days of TIS. Due to having some active service, did that clock start again once I signed my contract for the Guard or will time only start counting again once I'm active for training purposes?

Re: Unique TIS question.

So your 4 months & 20 days are going to count for TIS for pay purposes, however, they are not going to affect your promotions. When you ship to BCT/OSUT your clock starts for TIS/TIG.

I was/am in the exact same group

Comment

I understand that the TIG won't count (but it really doesn't matter since I'm an E2) but I don't see how TIS wouldn't count, at least once I'm back from AIT. But at the end of the day, picking up PFC in 8 months vs 12 months isn't a big deal anyway.

Comment

I am not sure where you got 4 months and 20 days of active service, if you say that you are non-prior. However, talk to your unit/RSP to verify what your Pay Entry Basic Date and Basic Active Service Date is, as this info will mark when your TIS begins, as well they can help to verify if you will have any time credited toward prior service (as your PEBD would have to be adjusted by 4 months and 20 days if applicable) which will remove any doubt that you have on when it begins for you.

Active Duty DEP does not count toward TIS/TIG unless specified in your contract (which is not normal (and you saw the contract through)), it is treated similar to IRR (but it is not IRR) for administrative purposes.
        Last edited by LRSU_Dog; April 18th, 2011, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LRSU_Dog View Post
          I am not sure where you got 4 months and 20 days of active service, if you say that you are non-prior. However, talk to your unit/RSP to verify what your Pay Entry Basic Date and Basic Active Service Date is, as this info will mark when your TIS begins, as well they can help to verify if you will have any time credited toward prior service (as your PEBD would have to be adjusted by 4 months and 20 days if applicable) which will remove any doubt that you have on when it begins for you.

Active Duty DEP does not count toward TIS/TIG unless specified in your contract (which is not normal (and you saw the contract through)), it is treated similar to IRR (but it is not IRR) for administrative purposes.
          Looking on HRC's records site, my BASD is 2006/09/18, discharged 2007/02/06 and my PEBD is 2010/10/12 (Signed my Guard contract on March 1st, so it looks like my PEBD was adjusted backwards to account for that time). Anyway, I attended BCT in 2006-2007 and received an ELS before AIT. Given that I have less than 180 days service, I believe fall into the category of glossary non-prior service which made me process essentially the same as someone with no service at all.

Comment

Very smart going to the HRC website, not many people take the time to learn or visit sites like this. It looks like you were able to answer your own question; the PEBD will be your reference date (or anniversary) for pay purposes, it sounds like you are already understanding the TIG issue as well (which HRC records and your unit can verify as the day you began getting paid at your current rank).

Comment

Yeah, I've done a lot of self exploring on AKO. I don't completely understand the numbers though. How is TIS calculated? From my PEBD?

Comment

Originally posted by David1983 View Post
                Yeah, I've done a lot of self exploring on AKO. I don't completely understand the numbers though. How is TIS calculated? From my PEBD?
                Exactly. That date is adjusted to reflect what will be your new retirement date after twenty years of service. That is what happens when you have a break in service.

Comment

So for the purposes of promotion my TIS goes from the PEBD? Interesting.

Thanks for the info, gentlemen.
                  Last edited by David1983; April 18th, 2011, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by David1983 View Post
                    So for the purposes of promotion my TIS goes from the PEBD? Interesting.

Thanks for the info, gentlemen.
                    Yes, but primarily its for pay purposes.

Comment

Per AR 600-8-9
                      7–7. Com****tion of time in grade, time in service, and cumulative enlisted service
                      a. TIMIG is computed from the Soldier’s DOR in the current grade.
                      b. TIS is computed from the Soldier’s PEBD except for nonprior service (NPS) Soldiers, who must complete IET.
                      Include all service for pay computed under DOD 7000.14–R, vol. 7A, chapter 1. TIS is computed for NPS personnel
                      who entered the ARNGUS under the ACASP or who were promoted under section III from BASD. The first
                      advancement or promotion after completion of IET is computed from the Soldiers BASD.
                      Correct me if I'm wrong here, but your first promotion will be based off of your BASD (the date you shipped to training), and not your PEBD.

Comment

That line is a bit confusing but it also says "Include all service for pay computed under DOD 7000.14–R" so even if it is based off BASD (Which I'm assuming will change from September 2006 to May 2011) for the first promotion it sounds like any other time would be added to that figure. With 6 months or so of IET for my MOS, I would be looking at about 11 months of TIS when I return.

If that is the case, I'm assuming PEBD would be what would be used for future promotions?

Comment

BASD refers to active duty soldiers. Do not get that confused for PEBD.

Here is a link to understand PEBD. There is DIEMS as well and that is the date you initially came into the service.

http://www.dfas.mil/militarypay/mili...g_your_les.pdf

and David your situation is very simple. When I came on active duty, I had to get my dates com****ted from serving in different components and a break in service. Even my retention counselor had to match and compute the dates when I re-enlisted eons ago.

Bottom line is that you had your 4 months prior added to your TIS to be utilized in regards to the enlisted promotion system.
                          Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; April 19th, 2011, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X