X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Military Spouse Deployment

If a couple is married and both in the National Guard (but obviously not the same unit) and they are both sure to deploy at some point; are they simply sent where there particular units are going or are there some provisions to have them in the same 'area' (per se).

I only ask as I know accomodations are sometimes made for Active Duty married couples (but this may just be in accordance to where they are stationed) and not necessarily during deployments.

Thanks

Re: Dual Military Spouse Deployment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
    If a couple is married and both in the National Guard (but obviously not the same unit) and they are both sure to deploy at some point; are they simply sent where there particular units are going or are there some provisions to have them in the same 'area' (per se).

I only ask as I know accomodations are sometimes made for Active Duty married couples (but this may just be in accordance to where they are stationed) and not necessarily during deployments.

Thanks
    No accomodations. Your units will make you do a Family Care Plan. I'm married to a soldier as well, and there really aren't any special accomodations, we had to do the FCP stating where we would like to send our kids should we both be deployed.

Comment

Also, you can be married and in the same unit. We have three or four married couples in my unit.

Comment

Originally posted by YesWeCan2008 View Post
        No accomodations. Your units will make you do a Family Care Plan. I'm married to a soldier as well, and there really aren't any special accomodations, we had to do the FCP stating where we would like to send our kids should we both be deployed.
        Yes, that's what I figured. The kids are mine from a previous marriage so I had to do a FCP before I could even enlist.

I was just hoping so, as being deployed and then having ones spouse deploy (say right before you're due back) or you leave just before they return would make for a long 2 years (approximately).

It is what it is though..

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by MPThink View Post
          Also, you can be married and in the same unit. We have three or four married couples in my unit.
          THAT..I did NOT know.

I assumed since we couldn't be in the same unit prior to marriage that the regulation carried over into married couples as well.

Good to know!

Comment

THAT..I did NOT know.

I assumed since we couldn't be in the same unit prior to marriage that the regulation carried over into married couples as well.

Good to know!
            It's not that it's necessarily allowed. It's just different than active duty. You all live on the same post in active duty so you know the consequences. Here in the guard the line is blurred a bit since you have your civilian life and you never know who is who. I just went to a baby shower for a sgt in my unit, only to find out the father is actually someone I just brought into our unit to fill a slot. It's hard because they aren't married yet. But if you can help it, stay out of that relm.

Comment

Originally posted by EOrsini View Post
              It's not that it's necessarily allowed. It's just different than active duty. You all live on the same post in active duty so you know the consequences. Here in the guard the line is blurred a bit since you have your civilian life and you never know who is who. I just went to a baby shower for a sgt in my unit, only to find out the father is actually someone I just brought into our unit to fill a slot. It's hard because they aren't married yet. But if you can help it, stay out of that relm.
              We understand all of that 'frowned upon' cohabitation stuff.....we do not intend to live together unless (until) we are married. We also did extensive research and he spoke to his COC regarding relationships before I even enlisted.

He's just been dropping hints, so I was curious how deployments work if you're married (or if once married, you can be in the same unit and hence same deployment) or is this generally discouraged? (i.e. a distraction in the field; Sgt. Smiley is more concerned about the Mrs. than anyone else)?

Comment

my last unit had 2 or 3 married couples in it that deployed.

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
                  my last unit had 2 or 3 married couples in it that deployed.
                  Hmm...good to know it is at least a possibility.

Comment

Even married you can be deployed to different locations. One officer in my LRS unit was married to an officer in another unit in our brigade, the brigade went to Iraq, and the LRS went to Afghanistan (a 3 month difference in deployment windows) - so both are essentially deployed at the same time to two separate locations (so this answer shows unit dependent).

However, as I was leaving Iraq some new policy was going into effect where (as in the case of many ARNG families) a husband and wife who were in the same unit (the same deployment for lack of a better description) shared the same quarters (room) when it was possible (some locations in some countries may not be able to do this based upon their particular housing situation/deployment area. In Iraq, at Anaconda (now Joint Base Balad) the housing was the sectioned trailers and this was possible, at other locations this was not the case - as well issues in a combat outpost versus a main base will also have different rules.

I do have to admit I love this new spell check feature... and on a personal note, I have admit if I had a wife in the military, I would want separate deployments to separate bases in separate theaters but that is just me Not that I am implying anything...

Comment

Originally posted by LRSU_Dog View Post
                      I do have to admit I love this new spell check feature... and on a personal note, I have admit if I had a wife in the military, I would want separate deployments to separate bases in separate theaters but that is just me Not that I am implying anything...
                      I am actually fine with that as well, so is he. But if our [possible] 'deployments' were concurrent, as opposed to one trailing the other, it would be nice. He's already had one to Afghanistan, so who knows when he'll go again and I won't go until I am done with OCS (from what I hear) so it is a ways off for now anyway.

Comment

I am actually fine with that as well, so is he. But if our [possible] 'deployments' were concurrent, as opposed to one trailing the other, it would be nice. He's already had one to Afghanistan, so who knows when he'll go again and I won't go until I am done with OCS and BOLC (from what I hear) so it is a ways off for now anyway.
                        Fixed that for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine2Guard View Post
                          Fixed that for you.
                          Yes, I thought that but did not want to assume and type it and be wrong about it....LOL

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by LRSU_Dog View Post
                            However, as I was leaving Iraq some new policy was going into effect where (as in the case of many ARNG families) a husband and wife who were in the same unit (the same deployment for lack of a better description) shared the same quarters (room) when it was possible (some locations in some countries may not be able to do this based upon their particular housing situation/deployment area. In Iraq, at Anaconda (now Joint Base Balad) the housing was the sectioned trailers and this was possible, at other locations this was not the case - as well issues in a combat outpost versus a main base will also have different rules.
                            I've seen this reported in the media before as well.
                            Last edited by SteveLord; April 15th, 2011, 01:44 PM.

Comment

One of our married couples were deployed together and got to stay in same CHU. They ended up splitting up and living seperate but whatever. Then another married couple were in different units but ended up in close places in Iraq, when he went on convoys to our area they made arrangements for them to spend part of a day together...about every other month. It just depends on your unit/state/mission. There are regs. At one time you couldnt live together overseas even if in same area then they changed it. I believe you arent supposed to have relations while there even if married...but... just have like three precautions in place!

Comment

Working...
                              X