X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about joining the guard and attending college

I am currently a senior in a North Carolina high school and I am thinking about joining the National Guard to help me pay for college. I am planning on joining after I take the asvab which is in May. But I have a few questions that I need answered before I seriously consider joining. My first question is if I do join in May how soon will it be until I have to start Basic Training? My second question is if I do start Basic Training this summer will I be back in time before college starts or will I have to enroll late into college because of the length of the Basic Training?

Re: Question about joining the guard and attending college

Originally posted by Kimberly Scales View Post
    I am currently a senior in a North Carolina high school and I am thinking about joining the National Guard to help me pay for college. I am planning on joining after I take the asvab which is in May. But I have a few questions that I need answered before I seriously consider joining. My first question is if I do join in May how soon will it be until I have to start Basic Training? My second question is if I do start Basic Training this summer will I be back in time before college starts or will I have to enroll late into college because of the length of the Basic Training?
    If you sign your papers in May, you could ship out anywhere from a week later to a year later.. It just depends on on your MOS and when there will be training slots open..

And the length of your training completely depends on which MOS you pick.. For instance, my training takes 23 weeks, while infantry takes 11 weeks..
    Which MOS are you thinking about and I'm sure we can give you an idea of how long it'll take. If you pick a non combat arms MOS you will probably end up having to enroll late into college..

Comment

Re: Question about joining the guard and attending college

You also have the option of split option training which is what I'm doing. I am going to BCT this summer then coming back to finish my last year of school and then going to AIT next summer so it works out that I don't have to take any time off from school.

Comment

Working...
      X