Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Concealed Handgun License

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Concealed Handgun License

    In most states that accept and issue CHLs, it is a highly regulated process with months of paperwork and required aptitute and skills test(s). I know that these laws vary by state (In Texas, the age is 21 to acquire a CHL and/or posses, handle and purchase a pistol) but how does one's Military/National Guard status affect this? Under FEDERAL law, the age to handle a handgun is 18, but does this supercede the laws within your state of residence although you are only part-time National Guard? I would appreciate any input from people who have gone through the process, since I am looking into getting a CHL and purchasing my own handgun.

  • #2
    Re: Concealed Handgun License

    Dont confuse Military Time with Civilian time. Laws are laws. If during IDT or Training events, you are authorized to carry a weapon, then carry it. Outside of that, State and Fedeal Laws apply. If you have to carry a M9 for any reason on Military Duty, then do it, it has been blessed off. Once your military duty is over, and you go back to the Mday civilian world, your state laws apply.

    Next, change that sig line!! Once you are out of BCT, its over. Being Honor Grad is great, but BCT is just a small part of your military career. Also people that get BCT tattoo's, just dont do it!! We have all been Honor Grad before, but if you look at your certificate, more than likely it says the same thing as the next guys, "Completion" or "Graduated". Be proud of what you have done, but dont dwell on the past, achieve Honor Grad in everything you do in life. Good Luck, and great post. There is also a billion page thread on this exact same question you posted. Maybe the search button can give you some different opinions on this.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Concealed Handgun License

      I have a conceal permit in two states. One in the northeast and one in the south. Two different criteria.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Concealed Handgun License

        If your question is do you get any special breaks for being in the military the answer is no.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Concealed Handgun License

          Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
          If your question is do you get any special breaks for being in the military the answer is no.
          lol the only time i did is when i was going to get a ticket but the id saved me from that but you have to be from out of state and on leave because they treat you like a hero lol

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Concealed Handgun License

            Originally posted by Phantom View Post
            We have all been Honor Grad before, but if you look at your certificate, more than likely it says the same thing as the next guys, "Completion" or "Graduated". Be proud of what you have done, but dont dwell on the past, achieve Honor Grad in everything you do in life. Good Luck, and great post.
            Correction: NOT everybody becomes an Honor Grad. Hence there being a division between just "completion" as you said, and actually holding the title of Honor Grad. I received two certificates from BCT. One was a certificate of completion, another was a certificate of Achievement for being in the top 10% of the cycle. I AM proud of that, which is why it is my sig.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Concealed Handgun License

              Originally posted by stillw87 View Post
              lol the only time i did is when i was going to get a ticket but the id saved me from that but you have to be from out of state and on leave because they treat you like a hero lol
              Well when it comes to speeding tickets or moving violations for that matter I've recieved way more breaks then I should have. My last and first actual ticket was a wake up call though and I'm glad I didn't get a break on that one. Most LEO's have alot of respect for service members and vice versa.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Concealed Handgun License

                Originally posted by LoneStarSoldier View Post
                Correction: NOT everybody becomes an Honor Grad. Hence there being a division between just "completion" as you said, and actually holding the title of Honor Grad. I received two certificates from BCT. One was a certificate of completion, another was a certificate of Achievement for being in the top 10% of the cycle. I AM proud of that, which is why it is my sig.
                Yeah...but it's like graduating in the top of your HS class...besides putting it on a college application, future employers wont really care. I dont have, "PLDC Honor Grad" in my signature. It got me some good bullet statements on my NCOER, but besides that, nobody cares. I give you props for finishing at the top of the class, but there's plenty of military life past that, you'll see as time goes on.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Concealed Handgun License

                  e-five for #1 in PLDC!

                  and to elaborate: We don't need another Quinones.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Concealed Handgun License

                    Originally posted by Teuvil View Post
                    e-five for #1 in PLDC!

                    and to elaborate: We don't need another Quinones.
                    Bring back Quinones.....and Draco......and whoever that was talking slang.......and Gabe.......

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Concealed Handgun License

                      Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
                      Bring back Quinones.....and Draco......and whoever that was talking slang.......and Gabe.......
                      I've been waiting for the secret Draco to come wandering back with a new screen name. Thus far, no such luck - but every time one of those old threads is resurrected I about have a heart attack.

                      On that note, if you ended up on my team and told me you were the top RSP Soldier and then the Honor Grad I would say to you "congratulations" and then not care about it after that point. Past performance does not guarantee future results. You doing your job now says a world more to me then any of your old "honors". Not trying to be a **** but I thought I'd toss that in there.
                      Last edited by Hanson; April 11th, 2011, 12:03 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Concealed Handgun License

                        I wish past performance didn't matter to senior raters.........the cold fact is that past performance matters very much in the promotion process.

                        Lead from the front!!!

                        like the Chaplain Corps.
                        Last edited by Chaplain4me; April 11th, 2011, 11:04 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Concealed Handgun License

                          Stay on topic, this not a thread about old forum members, and not a thread about bragging. On mention of that, if someone is proud of a achievement, they should be, they earned it. We can advise them to look to the future, but if they want to live in the past that is up to them. Do not talk down to someone, they gave their all and accomplished the task to the best of their ability. Whether they got a smiley face sticker in kindergarden for not eating paste, or Honor Grad at BCT, they are both well deserved achievements.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Concealed Handgun License

                            Originally posted by Phantom View Post
                            not a thread about bragging.
                            Sorry when your part of the Chaplain Corps it's hard not too.

                            back to CC permits. If you are under 21 in VA and you possess a handgun, only one thing will happen. You go to jail.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Concealed Handgun License

                              Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
                              back to CC permits. If you are under 21 in VA and you possess a handgun, only one thing will happen. You go to jail.
                              In addition to that, it's actually pretty simple to get your CC permit in VA. Be in military or complete hunter safety course, pay 50 dollars, wait for it to arrive in mail in 3-4 weeks.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X