X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Police not accepting people

I had an interview with a Sergeant here in Fresno about joining the National Guard, I wanted to join the Military Police, I want to have a career in Law Enforcement. But he told me the Military Police are not accepting people at this time. I was a little disappointed because I really wanted to do this. So I looked online at all the careers, read through them all but couldn't find any others I was interested in. So my second option is to see about the Air National Guard Security Forces. Does anyone know why the Military Police are not accepting people?

Re: Military Police not accepting people

I would assume that there are no MP slots available with the local National Guard unit.

Comment

You should become 11b, or 13b.

I know lots of officers that aren't MP.

In fact, I don't know any officer's that are MP.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
        You should become 11b, or 13b.

I know lots of officers that aren't MP.

In fact, I don't know any officer's that are MP.
        +1.

Maybe MP is overstrength in CA, but the only way to know for sure is to get in touch with the OSM.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
          +1.

Maybe MP is overstrength in CA, but the only way to know for sure is to get in touch with the OSM.
          +1000

Or think about 56M.

Comment

Not to be biased but I personally have known Guardsman in various states that worked in similar jobs from their MOS. 42 series that worked in HR, 25 series in IT and a good friend that was 31B and a state trooper. I got stopped over by a statie on I-95 and dropped his name and got off with a warning. Also, I know tons of MPs that became DA civilian cops.

If that is your goal and ambition then shoot for it.

If the MOS is full at the time; then be patient because it will not always be the case.

Good luck.

Comment

??? about that one, he might be lucky to get any MOS at this point even 88M might be full.

Think about chosing another one. It's only going to get tougher to get in. I don't even know his state, but I'd bet he can't even get a 56M slot at this point.

When I was a young man, I had the same attitude, really wanting to do something that didn't turn out.

Perhaps settle for the next best thing, such as 11b or 13b, or 19D.

In the OE, a 31b sometimes does the job of a 11b anyway.

I would probably take anything that gave me.

Since soon, they could be trying to force people out.

Comment

Consider another MOS. Most civilian police officers that I know were in the military with a variety. I'm an MP and in my unit we only have one soldier that is in civilian law enforcement. MP training is a good way to gain some experience, but alot of departments will give you the same credit as someone who is infantry, logistics, etc because pf the fact that military personel are good teammates, physically fit, disciplined, and the list goes on. Most mp units in the guard are combat support units and rarely do any type of L&O missions. They do happen and you will still train for them. MP is over strength Army wide. As previously mentioned MP's sometimes do similar things as combat arms MOS' when in a combat enviroment.

Comment

Originally posted by Amuro1990 View Post
                  I want to have a career in Law Enforcement.
                  Go get a college degree and maybe learn a second language. This will make you more competitive then being an MP.

While MP's do some LE, it's usually the last thing on thier list to train on. Light cav would be a better description of the MOS.

Comment

Is this MP training at FLW?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-gDL...eature=related

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                      I don't think so. I maybe wrong. Didn't look like FLW and nobody I know had to get OC'd in AIT. That's something that's usually done by the unit.

Lol is reaction was funny though. OC is some good stuff. Everyone reacts differently. When I got sprayed I just remembered using some profane language and walking slow. We had a few soldiers freak out but nothing like this guy

Comment

Maybe you should consider military intelligence. I am sure that would help in a law enforcement/investigative career...

Comment

I was a cop for 9 years. Being MP is not a major stepping stone, unless you want the personal experience to help prepare yourself. We had a huge variety of prior military, and only a couple were ever in military law enforcement. Most police departments prefer college (some require it). That being said, if it is what you really want to do in the military, look into the otherr branches of service. I have no idea what options are open to the various Reserve branches. I can tell you that the Coast Guard is a great way to get law enforcement experience. If you end up assigned to enforcement in the gulf, you will seize more narcotics than even the largest urban police departments are accustomed to seeing.
                          You can also check with neighboring states and see if their state is at full strength in the MP fields...
                          Just depends on how far you are willing to go....

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                            Looks like Camp Shelby. Don't know why they didn't take the guy off and decontaminate him. He didn't complete the course anyway.

Comment

just get your foot in the door for now, you can always transfer to a unit once a slot for a particular MOS opens up. MP/11b/92y/19k/etc... is not treated as anything special when you try to enter the world of civilian law enforcement. They generally ask if you have military experience & an honorable discharge, everything else is secondary with the few exceptions being the highly sought after skills (i.e. pilot, eod). MP on a military base has little to do with real world law enforcement, so I wouldn't stress it. Grab what you can.

Comment

Working...
                              X