X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Requesting Deployment

I recently spoke to my CO about deploying. There is a unit leaving less then a year and i want to be apart of it. It will be my first Army deployment. He said he would fully back me up and said he forwarded my request to S3. I had emailed him and he wrote back saying basically when he hears something he will let me know. My first Question is what is S3? And would it be unprofessional if I contacted them myself?

Re: Requesting Deployment

As a soldier, you should be family with the S (staff) and G shops.

Here is a link to get you abreast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staff_%28military%29

Operations (3) and training

The operations office, which may include plans and training. The operations office plans and coordinates operations, and all things necessary to enable the formation to operate and accomplish its mission. In most units, the operations office is the largest of the staff sections and considered the most important. All aspects of sustaining the unit's operations, planning future operations, and additionally planning and executing all unit training, fall under the responsibility of operations. The operations office is also tasked with keeping track of the weekly training schedules. In most military units, the operations officer, carries the same rank as the executive officer (XO)

http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/jel/service_pubs/101_5.pdf
    FM 101-5

The S3/G3 is responsible for operations and training. You will find them in battalions and higher.

Also, if your leadership said they will work the issue; then allow them too. At your level and due to this request; it will be wise to not go around him.
    Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; April 8th, 2011, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Re: Requesting Deployment

Originally posted by obsessionad View Post
      I recently spoke to my CO about deploying. There is a unit leaving less then a year and i want to be apart of it. It will be my first Army deployment. He said he would fully back me up and said he forwarded my request to S3. I had emailed him and he wrote back saying basically when he hears something he will let me know. My first Question is what is S3? And would it be unprofessional if I contacted them myself?
      S-3 is the office responsible for planning and coordinating training and operations at the battalion and regimental level. I was a training NCO in my battalion's S-3 for 3 years when I was on active duty. As far as it being unprofessional, I will say that I don't recommend it personally. When I worked in the 3 shop I never had a problem with troops coming directly to me with issues. I was just an E-3 myself, so I liked to take care of my own, so to speak. My master sergeant, though, would explode on both me and the troop coming to me if he caught them skipping through the chain of command. Eventually it became a very strict policy that we would only deal with the battery clerks and other battery staff personnel. Even platoon sergeants and platoon commanders were turned away if they came to us directly and were told to talk to their battery office if they had issues.

Comment

Working...
      X