Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone one Get Food Stamps and only in the Guard?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone one Get Food Stamps and only in the Guard?

I am getting ready to leave for basic soon and wonder when I come back will I be able to collect food stams for being a soldier. I will be in the SMP program too meaning I will have pay from different aspects all over. But, I jus wonder does the NG give pay stubs or is it at all possible to get food stamps while the NG is your primary job?

Re: Anyone one Get Food Stamps and only in the Guard?

There are/have been active duty personnel that qualified for food stamps and AFDC/WIC (programs if you have dependents). You need to go to the local office and find out if you qualify. They will need you to provide documentation, residence information. I do not know your work history but perhaps you may qualify for unemployment. I suggest you check with the department of labor for work as well.

I do not know if you have dependents but ensure that you save as much as you can from your IET training. I am aware that you will have a full course load with ROTC training but myself and millions of others had held jobs while struggling with school and juggling families. Even if you get a job a part-time job at Burger King; its something.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Signalguy205 View Post
      I am getting ready to leave for basic soon and wonder when I come back will I be able to collect food stams for being a soldier. I will be in the SMP program too meaning I will have pay from different aspects all over. But, I jus wonder does the NG give pay stubs or is it at all possible to get food stamps while the NG is your primary job?
      I forgot to mention, from your training in Signal; you might be able to find an entry level position in IT (e.g. helpdesk) that probably pays 12 to 15 dollars an hour. Maybe more. You list your military IT experience on your resume and articulate your skills at your interview and you might get lucky and get hired.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
        I forgot to mention, from your training in Signal; you might be able to find an entry level position in IT (e.g. helpdesk) that probably pays 12 to 15 dollars an hour. Maybe more. You list your military IT experience on your resume and articulate your skills at your interview and you might get lucky and get hired.
        I don't know what state Signalguy205 is from, but in my state, even entry level IT positions with State Government, (i.e. helping with e-mail problems, password issues, etc) start at even a higher wage than listed above and, at least in my state, military receive strong consideration and any veterans receive veterans preference when hiring takes place.

Look into your State Government Signalguy205!

Edit: State positions traditionally come with excellent insurance, dental, 401k, etc (on top of what you get with the NG)
        Last edited by Chris36; April 7th, 2011, 08:40 AM. Reason: Additional info..

Comment

I do not know if you have dependents but ensure that you save as much as you can from your IET training. I am aware that you will have a full course load with ROTC training but myself and millions of others had held jobs while struggling with school and juggling families. Even if you get a job a part-time job at Burger King; its something.
          Absolutely! I work full time, go to school full time and am a single parent of 2 on top of National Guard, so it can definitely be done.

Good Luck! You can do it!

Comment

That's the key right there. Don't talk about what you actually do. Talk about what you're qualified and trained to do. I'm a 25U and I've received a ton of training in networking. At drill all I do is inventory radios. When I mentioned all my coursework and training to my boss at my civilian job they moved me into an IT support position and I now hang out in the server room all day. Signal is a great MOS field for making your more employable in the civilian world.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
              I don't know what state Signalguy205 is from, but in my state, even entry level IT positions with State Government, (i.e. helping with e-mail problems, password issues, etc) start at even a higher wage than listed above and, at least in my state, military receive strong consideration and any veterans receive veterans preference when hiring takes place.

Edit: State positions traditionally come with excellent insurance, dental, 401k, etc (on top of what you get with the NG)
              Veteran's preference if you wield a DD214 proving so...typically excluding training. Also be mindful of the condition of state governments right now. Michigan had like a $1 billion deficit, but even so...there doesn't appear to be a hiring freeze. My state is in far better shape and our new governor froze nearly all hiring.
              Last edited by SteveLord; April 7th, 2011, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
                Veteran's preference if you wield a DD214 proving so...typically excluding training.
                Yes, I know, and to be considered a veteran (in Michigan), ''the applicant must have served on active duty for more than 180 days or have a service-connected disability, and not have a period of active duty (not including training) of more than 90 days that ended during the 60-day period ending on the hire date''.

It's what I do every day in my civilian job.....I was just putting it out there for anyone who is of veteran status (in regards to the 'veterans preference'.

Even without being a veteran, my State still looks very highly on anyone with military service experience and the skills obtained are deemed as an asset and strongly considered.

I apologize if my previous post was confusing or implied a newly enlisted soldier would be eligible for 'veterans preference' when interviewing for a position.

Comment

No problem! I'm not hating. Just further clarifying.

On the subject, I've been a state employee (in IT) for nearly 3 years. While my military background gave me an automatic slight nudge, it was my previous IT job that won me this position. Iowa gives 30 days a year for paid military leave. I doubt others give any less, but I know some give more. Iowa is also one of the few states where state employee health insurance is essentially free (for now anyway).
                  Last edited by SteveLord; April 7th, 2011, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post

You are right. I was quoting wages from the early 90s.

Comment

SignalGuy, you have just observed so much IT experience and resources in this thread alone. Amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
                        No problem! I'm not hating. Just further clarifying.

On the subject, I've been a state employee (in IT) for nearly 3 years. While my military background gave me an automatic slight nudge, it was my previous IT job that won me this position. Iowa gives 30 days a year for paid military leave. I doubt others give any less, but I know some give more. Iowa is also one of the few states where state employee health insurance is essentially free (for now anyway).
                        I've been in IT since my (initial) stint in college (18 yrs ago) where I worked in the university computer lab for a Work Study Grant...so I was able to utilize my skills and pay for school. Only been in my state gov't for 6 years, but enjoy working for the DMVS putting veterans back to work and getting them re-assimilated to civilian life.

I occasionally do some contract IT work just because I like to get my IT Ne-r-d On!

So there are many ways Signalguy can utilize what he'll be taught without, hopefully, having to resort to public assistance.

Good Luck Signalguy!

Comment

You are right. I was quoting wages from the early 90s.
                          No your wage estimates are spot on for entry level in the private sector.

Comment

OMG I never knew I would get so much support and experience from this thread. Thank you all for the help and information. I will wait till after I come back or while I am at AIt to look for a job in my area. I know I wouldnt be able to do full-time but the training from the army on top of an IT job would help me greatly till I graduate. My ultimate goal is to be an active duty 2nd Lieutenant. BUt if I chose to stay Guard, Im sure I will be able to get a good civi job with the experience and training and prolly will not be eligible for FS. But thanks again everyone who commented.

Comment

Working...
                            X