Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 Year Commitment?

I am a current law student in ROTC.

1) I understand that I can complete my commitment by serving 4 years Active + 4 years IRR/Reserve/NG, correct?

2) I assume that if I go Reserve I cannot split it with anything other type of duty and must serve 8 years in the Reserves, correct?

3) Is there any way to build up a credit of some sort while in the Reserve towards moving to IRR? Like if I get deployed? Or what if I volunteer for 3 or 4 deployments, can I then move to IRR for a certain period?

Thanks again for all your help guys, you all are awesome.

Re: 8 Year Commitment?

I'm no officer but heres how I think things work for everyone.

You will have an 8 year contract no matter what, but you will only sign up for x number of years in whatever form you choose to go into, everything left over after (8-x)= IRR. Unless you choose to switch to the NG or reserves.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how it went for my first 8 years...

Comment

I also have a question somewhat along these lines... The educational benefits are what really brought me to the national guard as my military branch of choice at the moment. My ultimate goal is to be able to pay for nursing school through the guard and then go active duty with my nursing degree. Ideally, I'll have my degree sometime in the next 8 years... Would I be able to go from guard to active with an MOS change while I still have time left on my contract? Or would I need to finish it out and then re-enlist as prior service with a regular army recruiter?

Comment

If you want to go to active before your guard contract is up you'll have to get a conditional release from the guard to join the active side. There's lots of information about that on these forums (you're definitely not the only one that's had that idea) if you do a search. From what I understand, getting a release right now is tricky as there aren't many openings on the active side right now, but things will almost certainly change later on in your eight year commitment.

Comment

Thank you very much!

Comment

I am Active Duty and getting ready to ETS. Before I ETS I have to sign a contract with with Reserves or National Guard in order to finish out the rest of my 8 year commitment. I am going back to school and will be in ROTC. Will I be able to sign an 09R contract even if I will not be contracting until the Spring Semester?

Comment

Originally posted by texasengineer View Post
              I am Active Duty and getting ready to ETS. Before I ETS I have to sign a contract with with Reserves or National Guard in order to finish out the rest of my 8 year commitment. I am going back to school and will be in ROTC. Will I be able to sign an 09R contract even if I will not be contracting until the Spring Semester?
              You can't be an SMP until you sign an ROTC contract (not just participate in ROTC, but sign a formal ROTC contract).

Comment

These posts may have relevance to your questions:

Service obligation: http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...ad.php?t=13470
                Education Benefits: http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...ad.php?t=14411
                ROTC scholarship: http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5145
                ROTC/OCS obligation: http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...ad.php?p=70828

Comment

Working...
                X