X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reclass

Im doing Split Ops, havent even left for BCT yet, and Im having second thoughts about the MOS I chose. I enlisted as a 15U because aviation is what sparked my interest in the military and I wanted to go to school for something along those lines. Long story short, chances of getting into the school I wanted and doing anything with aviation there, is very slim. Lately Ive been wanting to go the infantry route. At the moment an infantry unit about 30 minutes from where I live will be deploying late this year and theyre taking volunteers to reclass to infantry because the unit is shorthanded. But since Im still a Junior and havent even left for BCT, I cant volunteer. My question is, would I be able to reclass before I leave for AIT even if the unit isnt shorthanded when they return from deployment?

If anyone can help, thank you so much...

Re: Reclass

Forget about what you want. Do what you've contracted to do.

Comment

Originally posted by JMason15U_MIARNG View Post
      Im doing Split Ops, havent even left for BCT yet, and Im having second thoughts about the MOS I chose. I enlisted as a 15U because aviation is what sparked my interest in the military and I wanted to go to school for something along those lines. Long story short, chances of getting into the school I wanted and doing anything with aviation there, is very slim. Lately Ive been wanting to go the infantry route. At the moment an infantry unit about 30 minutes from where I live will be deploying late this year and theyre taking volunteers to reclass to infantry because the unit is shorthanded. But since Im still a Junior and havent even left for BCT, I cant volunteer. My question is, would I be able to reclass before I leave for AIT even if the unit isnt shorthanded when they return from deployment?

If anyone can help, thank you so much...
      Are you 17 still Mason? As a word of advice, do not get into the habit on changing your mind on career decisions.

Your thread has nothing to do with reclassing because that applies to soldiers who already are MOS qualified and looking for a new one.

Just because you selected an MOS and it may not provide the civilian opportunity you are seeking; doesnt mean it is no longer prudent. Remember the beauty of the Guard in which you can serve in a job totally different to your actual civilian career; increasing your skill and experience.

Also, if you are 17, there might be some issues with you deploying. I believe you can enlist but cannot deploy downrange until you are 18 (plus the other reason you mentioned). I may be wrong and if there is a JAG or S1 type here that can confirm that please let me know.

Also, you contracted to enlist for a specific MOS; and to try to renegotiate your contract may be possible but a headache for your recruiter. You can possibly switch to another MOS two years after serving in your current MOS.

Personally, in my opinion, you are very fortunate to get slotted for that job as a 15U and can reap a lot of benefits.

Good luck.
      Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; April 3rd, 2011, 06:28 AM.

Comment

In the future, you can do a 2-3 week infantry course and be MOSQed. This is actually a cheap way to slide into that MOS.....providing you are lucky and other things work out in your favor.

Comment

Working...
        X