X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employer issues? Need advise

Hey guys, I need some info. Is my civilian employer required to give me a certain time off between my shift and guard duty the next morning? I normally have formation at 6:30 on saturday, and work 2nd shift at my civilian job, and normally don't get off till around 11:30 and frequently run over that time. My unit is over 1.5 hours away drive time. Are they required to give me any amount of time off before duty the next day?

The other twist to this is that I recently went to a new area of the plant, and prior to this new position, my previous supervisor would let me off around 9:30 or so for drill the next day. My new super said they don't do that. I need some help and some information to back this up. Thanks.

Re: Employer issues? Need advise

Hate to tell you but it is your responsibility not your jobs. Although many compaines do formerly support the Guard and Reserves, some do not. Your employer is under no obligation to alter you hours to attend drills. It is your responsibility to make arrangements in advance, even if that means taking vacation time or personal time off. You must have regularly scheduled days off, if so then for that one weekend per month you should make arrangements to change shifts with someone. I would also check with you HR department and see if there is an actual Corporate policy regarding military service. It has been my experience in the past that some companies do have policies that are not readily known by some supervisors. Your ESGR representative can assist you with mediating should your situation become "job security" related however, as I said it is your responsibility.

Regards

Comment

You get 8 hours before duty and 8 hours after you get off before you have to be back at work...that is what they put out in the ESGR briefings.

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
        You get 8 hours before duty and 8 hours after you get off before you have to be back at work...that is what they put out in the ESGR briefings.
        Does that include drive time or no?

I wish there was a changing the shifts around, that would actually make it a little easier, but this job normally works 13 days on, 1 off as is, but monday-friday is the "normal", and there is no swapping off days around.

Comment

Working...
        X