X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TIS and how it is calculated with the guard

I'm signing the enlistment paper work on tuesday and i would like to know how do they calulate so that i can have an idea oh how things operate in the guard. I am prior service and i know how the tis works with ad but im just wondering if one month guard correlates with one month tis ad as since i have to go to basic training again and it can correlate earning more or less. (I know its about money but when your strapped for cash and have obligations sometimes its just better to ask and find out.)

Re: TIS and how it is calculated with the guard

You said you are prior service? Do you have your NGB-22 or DD 214 listed with your service dates? With a break of service, there are date calculations done but your month in the Guard equals a month TIS.

Comment

They will add any PS time you had to your current enlistment date, thus adjusting your pay entry base date.

Comment

There is a TIS calculator, I have a copy, which makes it much easier that doing it by long hand - which I have done and it is a pain - but here is the deal:

- your TIS will be based on the total number of years (to include partial years) of service. A year is a year regardless of service or branch. If you have 4 years on Active Duty, 2 years in the Reserve, and 3 years in the National Guard then you will have a total of 9 years as TIS as far as pay goes. This is also based on actual calander years of service you have, normally increased on your service anniversary, which can be referenced by the military pay chart. However,

- As a Guard/Reserve soldier how this affects your retirement is different. Active Duty aside, in the Guard and Reserves you have to fulfil a certain number of training days for the "year" to count as good toward retirement (this is what is referenced as retirement points - 1 day (or 1 MUTA) = 1 point). You may accrue RP's through attendance at training, attending schools, or completing correspondance courses. This will not translate to TIS for military pay, but does translate to when you can actually retire and the amount of retirement pay you can expect. There is a website with a retirement calculator at Army Human Resources that can help you understand this better.

Comment

thanks guys and yes i have my 214 and i didnt know if they counted one month in guard as 1month tis was just wanting to make sure so ill be set by the time i go to basic in june thanks for the help i sincerely appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by stillw87 View Post
            s just wanting to make sure so ill be set by the time i go to basic in june thanks for the help i sincerely appreciate it.
            What do you mean "be set by the time I go to basic"? Do you mean for TIS for promotion? If so, the TIS for promotion does not start until you start basic.

Comment

what i mean is tis for pay like 2 years 3 years tis+tig for promotion aren't the immediate concern because i still have time to wait on both of them. But i have 6 weeks for the next year of tis. so im just wondering abuot that more or less.

Comment

When you get your LES while you are at basic, it will tell you your years of service. Pay increases every 2 years after you hit your 2 years of service (plus there are annual raises as well). You should know the pay charts already since you are prior service.

Good luck at basic.

Comment

When you enlisted, either your recruiter, or MEPS, should have given you a TIS determination. So, in short you should already know what your TIS was on your enlistment process - now that you are back in (so to speak) your new enlistment dtae starts your new period toward TIS.

Also note, that since you are prior service, your orgiinal Pay Entry Basic Date (PEBD) will be adjusted to reflect against your current period of service - you should also have this info available to you form your enlistment process. Once you begin drilling (either before or after basic) your unit admins can help you find this info. As also previously noted - check your LES - the correct period should be listed at the top in regards to TIS - if it is incorrect you need to work to get it corrected.

Comment

Thanks for the information but i guess the wires got crossed because there are going to be differences in how the guard and the active duty portions run things and my question was this i am 6 weeks shy of another pay raise and i was wondering would the by the time i got to basic in three months would the 6 weeks already accumilated so that i would be at the next scale of pay or would after 6 weeks of basic then i be at the tis i am shy of. Thanks for the information i will just ask my recruiter as suggested and take it from there thanks for the help and i consder this question resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by stillw87 View Post
                      Thanks for the information but i guess the wires got crossed because there are going to be differences in how the guard and the active duty portions run things and my question was this i am 6 weeks shy of another pay raise and i was wondering would the by the time i got to basic in three months would the 6 weeks already accumilated so that i would be at the next scale of pay or would after 6 weeks of basic then i be at the tis i am shy of. Thanks for the information i will just ask my recruiter as suggested and take it from there thanks for the help and i consder this question resolved.
                      Ok, that clarifies things You should be good to go for your pay raise.

Comment

Working...
                      X