X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which path to pilot should I take?

I've been contemplating joining the guard for a while now. I've spoken with a recruiter a couple of times, but I was forced to put everything on hold back in November when we found out that my girlfriend was pregnant. With the pregnancy almost over I have been debating on which path to take again.

My ultimate goal is to become a pilot. However, I also want to go infantry or cav scout. My question is, would it be better for me to join an aviation unit as a mechanic or something right off the bat, or could I still become a pilot after serving in an infantry/scout unit for a while?

Re: Which path to pilot should I take?

If you enlist, you will later have the opportunity (rare) to transition to a rotary wing WO. You could even go OCS and become an officer if you have the minimum credits required (90 I believe), however it is my understanding (as neither a WO, or CO) that if you want to keep flying that you would want to go warrant, as CO's end up having to turn more to the administrative.

Comment

Originally posted by Mildawg View Post
      If you enlist, you will later have the opportunity (rare) to transition to a rotary wing WO.
      Do you mean if I enlist into an infantry/scout unit?

[QUOTE=You could even go OCS and become an officer if you have the minimum credits required (90 I believe), however it is my understanding (as neither a WO, or CO) that if you want to keep flying that you would want to go warrant, as CO's end up having to turn more to the administrative.[/QUOTE]

Thats exactly why I want to go WO. Flying is my passion, paperwork...not so much

Comment

It doesnt really matter what MOS you choose as 153A doesnt recquire any specific MOS, however, with that being said it would be wise to choose an MOS in the Aviation field to make your transition to Warrant smoother.

As long as you meet the criteria to make WO and the following listed on the posted link below, you should be good to go.

http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warran...u/WO153A.shtml

Comment

Working...
        X