Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marines view of the Guard

Originally posted by Wobbly Emu View Post
    The reference to some units being "civilianized" comes from the fact that some soldiers have been drilling together in the same unit for many years, and may even work together on the outside.
    I see that a lot in MP units where many (most) of the MPs are also local LEOs.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
      I had a brief stint with a RAOC and it was very laxed with alot of people on a first name basis. I guess that can be pretty common in a support unit. In combat arms units it is a different story, customs and courtesies are stressed and enforced alot more.
      It all depends. I've seen both hardcore units and extremely relaxed ones. It's really based on the leadership I think, the more the officers and high ranking NCOs stress it, the more stringent it is.
      -Side note I saw Battle LA and was actually really impressed with their portrayal of the military and marines. They didn't make us seem like secretive liars and actually got customs right for the most part. Pleasantly surprised.

Comment

Thanks for all replies. I appreciate the info guys. As long as I don't let an "oohrah" slip out I should fit in ok. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
          Just remember that although it is the Army, you will be around alot of "civilian" minded people. There will be alot of "hey bob" and "yo tim" coming from E-4s mouths when they are talking to their NCO who has lived on the same street as them for 10 years. Like the other poster said, I don't think you will see ANYONE standing at parade rest. I'm in the Guard and I love it, I'm not bashing it but it will be the other side of the pendulum in comparison to active duty Marine Corps service.
          That garbage ain't flying in my detachment. One of the NCO's that stood in for my recruiter and took me to MEPS treated me like I was her son the whole step of the way. The first day I reported to drill I walked up to her and said: "Excuse me, Sergeant Jones", and she looked at me like I was from another planet. She quickly responded by saying "Do you KNOW me?" I got the hint and tightened up real quick. After standing a full attention FIRST, then to parade rest, we discussed a few formalities she whispered a couple kind words, then carried on. You stand at parade rest at all times when you're not double-timing it everywhere you go. Otherwise, you're at full attention. Call me corny but I'd rather be trained up to specs than go down range all jacked up. At least if I'm down range and the Drill Sergeants are not as tight as the NCO's and Drill Sergeants from my detachment I can take it down a notch and not break stride. From professional experience, it's easier to take it down a notch than trying to learn how to take it up a notch.
          Last edited by VICEROY06; March 14th, 2011, 11:23 PM.

Comment

That's the difference between RSP/BCT and your regular unit, but don't lose that common sense military courtesy when you get done with IET.

Comment

Like other said, it depends on your unit. My detachment's very close, most of us are on first name basis, but when it comes time for missions, we get it done.

Comment

This isn't only with the Marines...it's all Active Duty components.

They are treated like soldiers 24/7. They are expected to have their dress uniforms 100% ready to go because at the last second, you might have to switch in to them. You better have your PT uniforms squared away and if you live in the barracks, keep it clean!

Comment

Originally posted by Teuvil View Post

They are treated like soldiers 24/7. They are expected to have their dress uniforms 100% ready to go because at the last second, you might have to switch in to them. You better have your PT uniforms squared away and if you live in the barracks, keep it clean!
                  So very true. Excluding boot camp, I was dropped or smoked exactly zero times the entire time I was on active duty. Uniform inspections were the preferred corrective action. If you weren't ready right there on the spot to put on any uniform and have it inspected, the inspection would be deferred to 0500 that Saturday, including a fresh haircut and shave, and you better not smell of alcohol. Really kills a Friday night.

Comment

Originally posted by AirCav View Post
                    Thanks for all replies. I appreciate the info guys. As long as I don't let an "oohrah" slip out I should fit in ok. LOL
                    Yeah I made the mistake of calling "Attention on deck" while at OCS, I still remember thinking why did I do that as the TAC smoked me.

Comment

Originally posted by 0844 View Post
                      So very true. Excluding boot camp, I was dropped or smoked exactly zero times the entire time I was on active duty. Uniform inspections were the preferred corrective action. If you weren't ready right there on the spot to put on any uniform and have it inspected, the inspection would be deferred to 0500 that Saturday, including a fresh haircut and shave, and you better not smell of alcohol. Really kills a Friday night.
                      My unit preferred the room inspection at 0500 Sat morning. Definately not the way to stay friends with your roommates.

Comment

Originally posted by Teuvil View Post

Excellent comment. My opinion is that its the Commander that sets the climate for his organization. The overall sentiment is that you should enforce customs and courtesies regardless if it just for a weekend drill. To be honest, I use to drill with Marine reservists and there was no way of distinguishing them from their active counterparts. Downrange, 90 percent of the time, I could identify who was an Army reservist or Guardsman but that is how the climate and mindset has been for ages.

Comment

It's better to train you to standard (RSP/bootcamp) and have your unit be the one to tell you to relax....then the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                            Excellent comment. My opinion is that its the Commander that sets the climate for his organization. The overall sentiment is that you should enforce customs and courtesies regardless if it just for a weekend drill. To be honest, I use to drill with Marine reservists and there was no way of distinguishing them from their active counterparts. Downrange, 90 percent of the time, I could identify who was an Army reservist or Guardsman but that is how the climate and mindset has been for ages.
                            Unit patch on the ACU makes a difference I bet. There's no unit patch on the USMC uniform right?

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                              Unit patch on the ACU makes a difference I bet. There's no unit patch on the USMC uniform right?
                              Right but they did during WWII. Anyway, I was just referring to the manner the SM carried themselves as mentioned in examples from other posts in this thread. Also, there are numerous unit patches worn by Guardsman that they active component wears (e.g. 130th Engineer BDE at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/130th_E...ited_States%29 )

Comment

Working...
                              X