X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cav scout?? or airborne infantry??

So I went through meps on monday. Made a 73 on my asvab, just waiting on my blood tests and my legal/moral waivers to go through. I wanted to go 21b but my recruiter said there wasn't any spots available. Anyone on here had any experience with these? they both sound interesting to me, just want to get some opinions of those that have been there.

Re: Cav scout?? or airborne infantry??

Infantry is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
      Infantry is the way to go.

I dont know you anymore!!! You change your mind more than a kid at a Chucky Cheese Ticket Counter

Scout or Infantry are both respected MOS's that can be related to each other but very different. Take your time and keep researching, make the best educated decision for you. On a side note anything with Airborne tied to it is just the Bee's Knees...

Comment

What state do you live in? Chances are you won't be able to be Airborne infantry or Airborne anything if your state doesn't have an Airborne unit. To my knowledge there is only one Airborne unit in the National Guard(excluding the SF units) that is in Texas and Alaska. The 143rd I believe. If you are in Texas you should jump all over the chance to get into the 143rd.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom View Post
          I dont know you anymore!!! You change your mind more than a kid at a Chucky Cheese Ticket Counter

Scout or Infantry are both respected MOS's that can be related to each other but very different. Take your time and keep researching, make the best educated decision for you. On a side note anything with Airborne tied to it is just the Bee's Knees...
          I thought we had an understanding that after 56M comes the 13B then 11B.

56M leads the way.

13B is the King of battle.

11B is good if you have to decide between 19D and 11B

I said Infantry, because I like all those heavy weapons.

Comment

Heavy weapons? Try being an Armorer and you get to move all the "heavy weapons" you want

I would honestly suggest Cavborne Infanout.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
              What state do you live in? Chances are you won't be able to be Airborne infantry or Airborne anything if your state doesn't have an Airborne unit. To my knowledge there is only one Airborne unit in the National Guard(excluding the SF units) that is in Texas and Alaska. The 143rd I believe. If you are in Texas you should jump all over the chance to get into the 143rd.
              I'm in austin which is actualy where the airborne unit is..

Comment

Originally posted by NateP View Post
                I'm in austin which is actualy where the airborne unit is..
                I was 19D and now I am about to be 11B qualified. I am in the 143rd in Austin...it's an outstanding unit. If your other option is the 124 CAV then that's not exactly settling. I believe they send their troops to jump school as well.

I don't know much else about the CAV unit, but I do know the 143rd has Ranger school (and more school) slots available to those who earn them. That being said, I don't know if the 143rd will take you as an RSP warrior. It's my understanding that it's a volunteer only unit in which you must interview for, and have a PT score of 270+. In addition, time is an issue because (without violating OPSEC) we are going to take a little vacation in the near future.

In short, the Texas Guard has some great units, and you'd ultimately be honored to serve as a combatant in either of the units you mentioned. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Comment

Thanks Scoutz! 19D is actually the MOS I'm kinda leaning toward. My recruiter had told me that the 143rd is a "VERY, VERY,VERY.......... VERY Elite group" (exact words from his mouth) and it may be hard to get a Legal/ Moral waiver for me there.

Comment

Thanks Scoutz! 19D is actually the MOS I'm kinda leaning toward. My recruiter had told me that the 143rd is a "VERY, VERY,VERY.......... VERY Elite group" (exact words from his mouth)
                    Whoa!! Your recruiter is blowing a whole lot a smoke up your backside.

Comment

19D.....11B......hmmm. Go 11C and join a Cav unit. Best of both worlds.

Comment

Originally posted by SF Hunter View Post
                        Why do ya say that?

Comment

Because if you ain't SF you ain't.....cough cough

I mean if you ain't Religious Support........jk.....serious just choose whichever one is a reasonable distance from your home. All that driving evey month is going to get expensive.

$40 there and $40 back, and $40 for insurance and $40 for health insurance...and woops, that drill pay is gone.

Comment

Thanks Scoutz! 19D is actually the MOS I'm kinda leaning toward. My recruiter had told me that the 143rd is a "VERY, VERY,VERY.......... VERY Elite group" (exact words from his mouth) and it may be hard to get a Legal/ Moral waiver for me there.
                            Originally posted by SF Hunter View Post
                            +1. Don't get me wrong in terms of the National Guard the 143rd would be rather elite lol! But they are still very new and are not any better than any other airborne infantry unit on the active duty side such as the 82nd or the 173rd. They couldn't hold a candle to the 75th or any of the SFG's.

However, it is a really great opportunity so take it! The chance to go to ANY of the schools that unit is offering is an extremely rare opportunity in the National Guard. I've been fighting to go to Ranger School for 4 years, and by the looks of it I will be fighting for a long time to come as my state simply doesn't have money. Get in this unit now while you are young and motivated and get some good expience and training under your belt before your body starts to feel broken.

Comment

Why do ya say that?
                              Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
                              +1. Don't get me wrong in terms of the National Guard the 143rd would be rather elite lol! But they are still very new and are not any better than any other airborne infantry unit on the active duty side such as the 82nd or the 173rd. They couldn't hold a candle to the 75th or any of the SFG's.
                              19D or Airborne Infantry is NOT considered elite, in the true meaning of ELITE units.

Comment

Working...
                              X