X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Guard to Marine Corps

Hi everyone, my mom's in the Navy and my dad's a retired Marine LOL I know. Anyway, I'm a junior in high school. After high school I plan on joing the Marine Corps, more than likely enlisted first. But my mom mentioned the National Guard, which I already knew about before she told me, I didn't tell her as it would've been rude. Anyways, I know juniors in high school can attend Basic Training in their summer break between Junior and Senior year. I'm trying to get a job but no luck so far. So, I thought about joining the NG until the end of my senior year or until Marine Corps boot camp as I'll be getting payed until then. I also know that I have to do Marine Corps BC. Don't get me wrong it's not all about the money, to be in the U.S. Military before graduation would be sick with all the marching, pay, and training! Then still join the Marine Corps! AWESOME! Here's my question:
    If I were to join the NG would it be possible for me to get out and join the Marine Corps as soon as I graduate? Also, is it a good idea if I'm joining the NG just as a time passer /adventure/payer until I graduate? P.S. I'm also in my 3rd year of JROTC 2yrs MCJROTC 1yr NJROTC.
    All answers will be appreciated.
    -Thank You

Re: National Guard to Marine Corps

If you sign an enlistment contract, then you must take the responsibility to fulfill your end of the bargain. You may request an early release, but you cannot presume that you'll get it. The National Guard isn't something you do to keep busy until something better comes along. If you want to join the Marines, then that's great, go do that.

When you speak to your Marine recruiter, tell him that what you really want to do is join the National Guard, but they're full right now, so you just want to pass some time in the Marines until you come to the top on the National Guard waiting list. If you survive that encounter, tell us how it goes.
    Last edited by matthew.ritchie; February 21st, 2011, 08:35 AM.

Comment

The LTC hit it definitely on the nail. You join the National Guard with an 8 year obligation and they do not have to approve your conditional release to switch to the Marine Corps (in which you have to go through boot camp all over again).

Its definitely harder now due to our conflicts and perhaps through the coming downsizing (I do not know how much the Guard will be affected compared to the active force).

My suggestion is if you have your mindset on being a Marine; then wait to you are 18 and graduated from high school.

Just my two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
        When you speak to your Marine recruiter, tell him that what you really want to do is join the National Guard, but they're full right now, so you just want to pass some time in the Marines until you come to the top on the National Guard waiting list. If you survive that encounter, tell us how it goes.
        This is the key! You need to think about what you are asking before you ask it.

Comment

First dibs on the xrays of the aftermath.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your answers. I will more than likely just wait until I graduate and join the USMC. I don't want to have to serve 8 years in the NG. -Thank You

Comment

if you sign an enlistment contract, then you must take the responsibility to fulfill your end of the bargain. You may request an early release, but you cannot presume that you'll get it. The national guard isn't something you do to keep busy until something better comes along. If you want to join the marines, then that's great, go do that.

when you speak to your marine recruiter, tell him that what you really want to do is join the national guard, but they're full right now, so you just want to pass some time in the marines until you come to the top on the national guard waiting list. If you survive that encounter, tell us how it goes.
              waaaaaaha ha hah ahah a ha haha haha!!

Comment

And his handle is GoUSN? The Marines are really going to have fun with him. Yea, his mother is a sailor but it just made me laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                  And his handle is GoUSN? The Marines are really going to have fun with him. Yea, his mother is a sailor but it just made me laugh.
                  My God. Wait till' he goes to MEPS and encounters one of them devil dogs at the USMC office.

Somebody please PM him and tell him not to wear any of his mommy's or daddy's military para.

If he goes into a USMC office with a Navy t-shirt on he's going to get ragged on the whole time he's at MEPS.

If he wears a Marine t-shirt....oh my god....let's just say the palm of his right hand is going to be bloody by lunchtime.
                  Last edited by VICEROY06; February 22nd, 2011, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GOUSN1776 View Post
                    Hi everyone, my mom's in the Navy and my dad's a retired Marine LOL I know. Anyway, I'm a junior in high school. After high school I plan on joing the Marine Corps, more than likely enlisted first. But my mom mentioned the National Guard, which I already knew about before she told me, I didn't tell her as it would've been rude. Anyways, I know juniors in high school can attend Basic Training in their summer break between Junior and Senior year. I'm trying to get a job but no luck so far. So, I thought about joining the NG until the end of my senior year or until Marine Corps boot camp as I'll be getting payed until then. I also know that I have to do Marine Corps BC. Don't get me wrong it's not all about the money, to be in the U.S. Military before graduation would be sick with all the marching, pay, and training! Then still join the Marine Corps! AWESOME! Here's my question:
                    If I were to join the NG would it be possible for me to get out and join the Marine Corps as soon as I graduate? Also, is it a good idea if I'm joining the NG just as a time passer /adventure/payer until I graduate? P.S. I'm also in my 3rd year of JROTC 2yrs MCJROTC 1yr NJROTC.
                    All answers will be appreciated.
                    -Thank You
                    Just for the record there isn't anything wrong with the National Guard. Being in the Guard is just as honorable as being in any other branch or component of the service.

Comment

Originally posted by o13starsnstripes View Post
                      Just for the record there isn't anything wrong with the National Guard. Being in the Guard is just as honorable as being in any other branch or component of the service.
                      The goofy, clueless, hillbilly, weekend warrior stigma (see: Rambo First Blood) is far reaching and long lasting in American pop culture. A significant number of people still think the only thing National Guard troops do is play around in the woods with guns that shoot blanks, and rescue civilians from the aftermath of natural disasters.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
                        rescue civilians from the aftermath of natural disasters.
                        Even that alone is an honorable thing to do

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
                          A significant number of people still think the only thing National Guard troops do is play around in the woods with guns that shoot blanks, and rescue civilians from the aftermath of natural disasters.
                          I told a friend I was deploying and he said, "I thought only regular Army deploys. The Guard just stays home and helps the people around here."

And to the "GoUSN" fellow. I've done both Marines and Guard. If you want the experience and "oh-rah" pride of being part of The Few, The Proud...where only the few are proud and the rest just want to get out....then by all means go for the Marines first, do your time, get out and join the Guard (8 years later...haha) like I did. You'll learn a lot, see a lot, and do a lot. Or at least...that's what I tell people when they ask me what I did in the Corps.
                          I find the Guard to be more relaxed and enjoyable than the Marines and active duty in general. But don't take that as saying we aren't as professional or as proud as anyone else serving our country. And there's some things that the Army does that I find is better than what the Marines do. But not everything. However, as stated earlier by others, if you go Guard first then join the Marines, first you'll have to fullfill your obligation to the Guard and then repeat basic training (the Marines call it Boot Camp) when you enter the Marines.

Comment

Working...
                          X