X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Citizenship Urgent Help

I am both American and Israeli citizen. I read here that one can give the other passport to the security officer and sign a form. The Israeli consulate is not in any hurry to let me go. They will delay it in a year at least. And I am trying to contract in the Guard and ROTC. I was wondering if someone can tell me the form name/number, and the procedure please.

Thank you so much

Ariel

Re: Dual Citizenship Urgent Help

Another fellow Israeli?! This makes at least 4 of us on this forum.

As for your question I assume this is about a security clearance correct? I'm not sure of the form at the moment but I may be able to get you an answer within the hour.

In terms of getting your clearance, the United States does not recognize dual citizenship. So in order for you to recieve a security clearance you have to become a US citizen and that requires that you renounce your Israeli citizenship. Once you renounce citizenship then the process can start for the clearance but it won't be granted untill you become a US citizen. It is a long process but in some cases it can be expedited. A friend of mine just enlisted in the Army. He was from Lithuania and did not hold US citizenship. He went to basic and while there the Army expedited the process to get him his US citizenship. The day after graduation he swore in as a US citizen. Now he is in AIT and the securtiy clearance is being worked. And to make things more interesting he was an officer in the USSR military in the 80's and went to Afghanistan! So the Army can help you to a great degree in this area. As soon as I can get the form you need I will let you know.

EDIT: The US does in fact recognize dual citizenship to an extent. The information posted above is in reference to the security clearance situation. Having dual citizenship can but does not necessarily disqualify you from getting a clearance. The security concerns underlying this guideline are that the possession and use of a foreign passport in preference to a U.S. passport raises doubt as to whether the person’s allegiance to the United States is paramount and it could also facilitate foreign travel unverifiable by the United States. Therefore consistent application of the guideline requires that any [DoD] clearance be denied or revoked unless the applicant surrenders the foreign passport or obtains official approval for its use from the appropriate agency of the United States Government.

http://www.clearancejobs.com/cleared...ity-clearances

Read over the information in the link. As far as the actual form that is used for surrendering your passports I can't seem to find it and my security contact doesn't know the form either. From my understanding you have to submit the passports to a US security officer as opposed to Isreal's. Have you talked to a representative in ROTC that you are trying to contract with? I'm sure this sort of thing has come up before. I would contact them and follow their guidance.
    Last edited by Explosive Hazard; February 14th, 2011, 11:53 AM. Reason: clarify information.

Comment

I am a US citizen, and I already started the process of renouncing. I need to do it a lot faster. I read here:
      http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...al-citizenship
      On the third post that there is another way.

Comment

Originally posted by ariel2go View Post
        I am a US citizen, and I already started the process of renouncing. I need to do it a lot faster. I read here:
        http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...al-citizenship
        On the third post that there is another way.
        Yes you need to surrender your foreign passports to a securtiy officer of some sort. The Army will be able to help you along in this process. I would get with ROTC leadership on the issue, I'm sure they can expedite the process for you.

Comment

Working...
        X