X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok all I have a OCS?

I have been around the OCS Forums, and I am a lile confused on the Branching thing.
    As a NG do we fall under the OML thing they are talking about. I was prior Infantry, Re enlisting too 35M, and want to branch MI as my first choice then MP,AR then FA/TC. how is commisioning done in the Guard, I read on the army site that NG and Priors go to OCS branch selected. Is this true??

Thunder
    Last edited by Thundergrunt; January 19th, 2011, 02:19 AM.

Re: Ok all I have a OCS?

Your State has a certain number of current and projected lieutenant vacancies in various branches in various units in various locations. In most States, the OSM is the person who matches available new lieutenants with the vacancies. You can only get what is available, and you're competing with others from OCS, ROTC, and qualified lieutenants moving in from other States. You must also be realistic about your choices, because you could get the branch you want in a distant location. For best results, develop your preference list on branches and driving distances, and discuss with your OSM. I don't recommend driving more than two hours each way as a lieutenant.

Comment

Thanks Col.

There is an MP unit Close by as well as 79th BSTB, and then 18th Cav G troop and B troop, and 143 FA i alittle further up. So if per say there is a 2LT opening in a MP Platoon I can be prebranched MP for that allocation?

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergrunt View Post
        Thanks Col.

There is an MP unit Close by as well as 79th BSTB, and then 18th Cav G troop and B troop, and 143 FA i alittle further up. So if per say there is a 2LT opening in a MP Platoon I can be prebranched MP for that allocation?
        Your OCS cadre will have the best guidance for you. Most likely, you'll have a briefing on what's available, then write up a preference sheet.

For ROTC cadets, the OSM can write an assignment/branching memo as soon as the cadet contracts (although usually they wait until the MS IV year).
        Last edited by matthew.ritchie; January 19th, 2011, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X