X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need Help with Family's Anxiety!

Just educate yourself as much as possible to what the Guard is all about and do not sway any decision based on this persons delusional nonsensical BS as if they have any factual information that is relevant.

Comment

Paralegal, thank you for the advice. Unfortunately, I did ask for posts a little bit like dcharmins, as this is a similar mindset my mother is in. It helps me realize what direction she is coming from and the misconceptions she has about the program.

Comment

kkillebrew:

In my experience, you'll regret the things you DON'T do, rather than some of the things you do.

You have some well written posts here, and you are obviously bright and intelligent. You also have some time before you turn 18 to ask more questions to become better informed on the guard. If possible, try to find an aviation or MEDEVAC unit near your home. Make some calls and see if you can talk to someone in that specific field you are looking to work in. This should solidify your decision even futher, and they may even offer you some pointers to help you set out on your path to being a pilot.

You'll do well in whatever you decide to do. Good luck!!!

Comment

I was 17 when I first took an intrest in the military. It has taken me four years to make a decision. Think about what's best for you and your future. Many people I've talked to had parents that were angry at one point, but learned to be proud of their children's choices and acheivements.

Comment

Dcharmins, I'm sorry for the bees’ nest you've encountered after submitting a post like yours. On here, it is what one should probably expect. I wholly support the pacifistic dogma that you are offering our potential young recruit, but honestly, speaking as a combat veteran with 23 years of service, I think your opinion has been swayed by CNN, Full Metal Jacket and Platoon. Perhaps your personal sensitivities make the potential reality of the “traumas of war” too great for you to bear emotionally…but thankfully many of us have psyches that are not so fragile. That is not intended as bravado. I abhor violence, death as much as any rational human being, but being witness to it is not necessarily life altering. Also, the reality is simply that only a small fraction of soldiers will even be modestly exposed to such horrors as you suggest.

Comment

kkillebrew, have you considered ROTC? If you're planning on going to college anyways, why not go somewhere with an ROTC program, and start there? You don't have to sign a contract (for the first two years), so non-military parents are usually more okay with the idea. You can get a taste of the military, get real-life experience lessons from your Cadre, and make a decision your sophomore year. You can choose to go with National Guard, Army Reserves, or compete for Active-duty. You can even try to branch Aviation and be a pilot (but you'll have to compete for the slot).

Parent will always be scared for their kids. Some are just more vocal about it than others. You need to make the right decision for YOU, then reassure them that you're a responsible individual capable of making her own decisions.

Good luck to you.

Comment

Dcharmins, I understand your concerns and stance even though I don't agree. However I must refute one element of your statement. Not every one does it for the money. In fact I'm not. A civilian part time job would pay more money and I've been managing my student debt just fine to this point. For me at least, it's about service and self development. There are benefits, but I doubt that's the bottom line deciding factor for most potiential recruits.

Comment

Kkillebrew, educate yourself to the options before you and walk the path that best fulfills you.

Comment

Working...
                  X