Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• storage

Greetings,

Prior service here, I have a question, back when I was active, if we deplyed overseas, Uncle Sam would store our home furnishings (if we were single of course). My question is, my son will be deploying for one year to Africa for one year, he is single lives on his own, will the national guard store his houseld items?I dont see why they wouldnt? any help is greatly appreciated so I can get him goiing in the right direction.

Re: storage

Originally posted by chano View Post
    Greetings,

Prior service here, I have a question, back when I was active, if we deplyed overseas, Uncle Sam would store our home furnishings (if we were single of course). My question is, my son will be deploying for one year to Africa for one year, he is single lives on his own, will the national guard store his houseld items?I dont see why they wouldnt? any help is greatly appreciated so I can get him goiing in the right direction.
    Generally speaking, NO.....

He will be receiving BAH while deployed, if he is receiving BAH, it is assumed he has a household to upkeep. In other words, his home furnishing would be in his HOME. Now, in reality, we all know most single people are not paying rent when deployed.

He will be entitled to 90 days of storage reimbursement, thats about it.

Comment

Not that i'm aware of. I was gone on the militaries dime for a year and wasnt made aware of it and I did look into discounts and such on my own. I'm single, I rented a room while I was gone so I had a place to come back to, especially on R&R, then rented a storage unit for the bigger items. I made more then enough money to cover my expenses and take home some big bank at the end of it.

If its a huge burden on someone, there are programs out there to help out, the Guard just isnt one of them generally. Military One Source (or a program they help support) might have some funds to help someone that can prove they NEED assistance with it. But if it just means he can only buy one bag of Doritos a week instead of two because its such a burden, no he isnt going to get any help. His chain of command can direct him to resources that may be able to help, but again, proof is on his part that he needs it.
      Last edited by WIBecky74; October 2nd, 2011, 02:02 PM.

Comment

If he does put his goods in storage, then he'll forego his housing allowance (since if his goods are in storage, he doesn't have a household). If he's got a roommate, or if he wants to keep his same address upon return, this may not be the best plan.

Comment

Your son is NG and deploying to Africa for a year? Which country?

Comment

Working...
          X