X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what would you want?

Hey guys. Im sending a large care package to my husbands friend in the sandbox. I send one every month. Normally I send cookies and magazines, and last time I added some small balsam wood planes that are easy to build but I figured are a nice and small distraction.

So I want to make this one super cool. Im planning (as always) to make large quantities of cookies to share but what would you want in a care package? What is something that would make your day? Any ideas are welcome! (behave yourselves)

Re: So what would you want?

I have yet to be deployed, but I HAVE been sending care packages to soldiers since Desert Storm and although specific requests vary, some things remain constant.

I also send magazines and have recruited co-workers to always bring in their 'last months' issues, save me a lot of money. Recently the 'fantasy sports team' (as in fantasy football and baseball team) magazines are especially popular.

I have also gotten many people to donate lots of dvd's (as people switch over to bluray), they often just gather dust in their cabinets, the same goes for cd's as many have MP3 players. Video games are a HUGE one as well that I have found to be popular....I pick them up from yard sales, the inexpensive bin at video game stores and get them from friends when they upgrade their systems.

As for goodies, I myself have always sent brownies as opposed to cookies. I have found that with the 10 day to 2 week delivery time, even in Tupperware, that the cookies did not retain their freshness and often arrived crumbly and stale (although I've been told it was of no consequence and that they were eaten any way....LOL). I have commercial baking sheets and can get about 200 brownies out of each one, my kids and I individually wrap them in plactic wrap (for sharing with dusty fingers) and the soldiers often like the tupperware containers for keeping things in that they don't want riddled with dust.

As for fun things to do, I have sent everything from crossword books, to art supplies, to Nintendo DS's. Many soldiers I know now have Kindles but wish they had harder covers for in their rucks.

I actually have a 2 page questionaire of sorts that I send over to have filled out with favorites, then I get it back either by e-mail or evan snail mail and it makes shopping ALOT easier.

I have found that many of the companies, platoons and individual soldiers I support are inundated (although grateful) with countless toiletries from charitable organizations, so I find asking specifics is much easier (and faster). Many have goody favorites that remind them of home, but that they can't get at the PX.

I have also sent sports equipment; baseball and football stuff is always pretty popular as well.

I have sent games, the Axis & Allies (ironically enough) was VERY popular with my last company. Some days it is just too hot to spend their down time outside, so I try to also give them things to cure their boredom inside.

If I think of anything else, I'll be sure and post it to give you some ideas, but my biggest suggestion is, if you are in any way in contact with these guys, ask them. They may have more specific needs or wants.

Thanks for what you're doing; I know they appreciate it.

Comment

I'm not allowed to say what I would want.

But in short, slim jims. Things that cannot melt. Now and Laters are a treat because they will soften in the heat.

Comment

I once had a soldier ask me to send him gummie bears in the Summer, regardless of the heat. So I sent 3-8 lb bags from Sam's Club and despite the goo, he loved them and said he and his buddies ate themselves sick...LOL

But as a general rule, I never send anything that melts, like chocolate, it just arrives too messy.

Comment

Originally posted by Teuvil View Post
          I'm not allowed to say what I would want.

But in short, slim jims. Things that cannot melt. Now and Laters are a treat because they will soften in the heat.
          Hence the behave yourself note I already KNOW what you would really want......
          My husband is the same way lol. If I could only ship it there...........Note: look into teleportation.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
            I once had a soldier ask me to send him gummie bears in the Summer, regardless of the heat. So I sent 3-8 lb bags from Sam's Club and despite the goo, he loved them and said he and his buddies ate themselves sick...LOL

But as a general rule, I never send anything that melts, like chocolate, it just arrives too messy.
            I have access to unlimited amounts of dry ice, so most of what i send keeps nice and cool for at least a few weeks. The last package they got in 4 days!

After major holidays I go and buy out a lot of stores of their discounted candy etc and send it over.

One guy asked for stale peeps. So he got them last month... lol

I feel kinda helpless on this side of things... so its my way of making it a little easier.

OO i sent a lot of gag toys last time too... whoopie cushions and fake snakes etc. Stuff to get in trouble with. Apparently they loved it.

Comment

Whatever reminds him of home....and he can only get at home. This is a lot harder nowadays, as the amount of online businesses catering to APO/FPO addresses have increased tremendously over the years. And more soldiers have internet access overseas, so they can just order almost anything themselves.

Best packages I received
              -DVDs with videos of my wife, newborn son, dogs
              -Summer Sausage package
              -A letter from a kid in school
              -FHM Philippines magazines

Comment

A lot has to do with where they are stationed at - in remote areas everything is great and wonderful, however on a major post such as Balad (Iraq) or Phoenix (Afghanistan) many things can be found at the PX. Mail times to major locations is not that bad - hoever to the remote locations is a bit longer.

I was on a list at Coors brewery (they have an internal vets organization) and they sent hats and shirts and things, these became sought after items I could use as a reward or attaboy (atta-girl as well). The things people liked the most seemed to be regional or local things that you cannot just get anywhere - like what was mention earlier - the reminders of home... We had a wall of toiletries - must be that everyone thinks of the early days when there was nothing available.

Of course you can never have enough lickey-cheweys to have on hand when going out on a mission...

Comment

Just sent 5 big boxes of cookies, 3 boxes of chips, and one big box of homemade beef jerkey, magazines, 2 soccer balls, 2 footballs and a USB drive with a ton of music. (I know a lot of them have lap tops) My work is done for this month.... now to start planning for next month.

Comment

Maxim magazine. That's it.......

All joking aside, LRSU hit it on the head - small, non-meltable stuff guys can take out on mission. Something that they can pop in their mouth during a tactical halt that doesn't take a long time to unwrap. My fav is those soft peppermint ball things.

For their assault pack, something that can be resealable and can survive a day in their assault pack. Pop tarts and a tube of Pringles seems to be the favorite in my squad nowadays.

...or a Maxim magazine. Just sayin'

Comment

Fire Water, in a plastic bottle, dont need to risk it breaking, so cheap isnt all that bad sometimes, but remember its not allowed. My aunt sent me a Nacho package, had chips, salsa, peppers, and a jar of cheeze whiz, that was a cool theme. Cant go wrong with beef jerky, but they sell it here. Sauces are good from hometown local resturants. Slingshots pass the time, so do baseball gloves and a ball. Movies can be good, but every shop here has hundreds of Haji movies and most soldiers have hard drives with movies filled. iPod gift cards is cool, new music while working out is always a plus. Magazines is good, everybody ususally gets to reading them so it benefits all. I personally liked getting a copy of the local News Paper. Just little things from home, go a long way. I have also recieved vegetable seeds, grew my own veggies, passed the time and you get something out of it.
                      Last edited by Phantom; July 29th, 2011, 09:02 PM. Reason: Some words didnt pass the filter

Comment

Socks and smokes... when I was deployed, thats all I really wanted... everything else was just a bonus.

Comment

One package I sent was full of whoopie cushions and small nerf toys.. those were a huge hit!

Comment

Working...
                          X