X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Support & Therapy Dogs

My husband returned from training a few months ago, and I have a brother in the Army Reserves currently serving in Iraq. We live in a suburban area fairly far from any bases.

My parents travel an hour away to go to Family Readiness Group meetings, but aside from that its really hard to connect with other military families because we are so spread out.

I was wondering what support services if any are offered for people in situations like mine. It would be nice to have other military wives to share experiences with. Someone else who knows what its like to not hear from a loved one for an undetermined amount of time at any time.

I was also wondering, as I am finishing up the process of training my dog to become a therapy dog. Is there any opportunities for her to work with the national guard, perhaps by visiting children who have a parent that are away. We're still several weeks from completing our program. But I think allowing her to serve would be great support for both me and her.

Re: Support & Therapy Dogs

I think there could definitely be an opportunity and need for you and your therapy dog to help out those with deployed loved ones. When your husband gets to his unit there will be a family readiness group for the unit. Have him tell his chain of command that you're interested in volunteering. You don't really hear anything about family readiness until you start getting ready to deploy (then you should be hearing a lot about it, we just had an eight hour series of powerpoint presentations on nothing but), but there are a few in the same boat on this forum and I'm sure you could find something like a military spouse/significant other forum.

Comment

Originally posted by MPThink View Post
      I think there could definitely be an opportunity and need for you and your therapy dog to help out those with deployed loved ones. When your husband gets to his unit there will be a family readiness group for the unit. Have him tell his chain of command that you're interested in volunteering. You don't really hear anything about family readiness until you start getting ready to deploy (then you should be hearing a lot about it, we just had an eight hour series of powerpoint presentations on nothing but), but there are a few in the same boat on this forum and I'm sure you could find something like a military spouse/significant other forum.
      Ah thanks.

Yeah I got handed my OFRG book a few days ago and it made me, well shiver a bit.

Comment

Forums and Facebook. If you found this one, I'm sure you won't have a problem finding others. As for the dog, you would not be able to allow it to "serve" in an "official" capacity.
        Last edited by SteveLord; March 19th, 2011, 02:06 PM.

Comment

virtual FRG is a good source at http://www.armyfrg.org/skins/frg/home.aspx

Also, see if you can utilize your therapy dog at the local VA. I have seen news articles on that.

Comment

Thanks fm.

Yeah we're about an hour away from any base. However I think the VA does have something closer. I'll look into it.

Comment

Working...
            X