X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retirement

I served 14 years active duty, got out in 1990, then joined the Tx National Guard and completed 7 years and received my 20 year letter dated Jan 1998. I'm trying to figure out when I will be eligible to collect retirement pay. Some say I can collect at age 55 but the way I read the reg, it's not until age 60. Can anyone verify what age I can start collecting retirement pay. Also, what would be the pay for an E-6. Thank you
    Last edited by biermech; November 10th, 2011, 11:07 AM.

Re: Retirement

You won't be eligible to collect until 60.

As for what the pay will be, that will need more calculating rather then just a certain amount for E6. It is based on the amount of retirement points you accrued while in the guard. The fact that you had 14 years of AD time will add a considerable more amount more than an E6 that simply spent their entire 20 years as just a Guard soldier. While you were still in, you should have recieved a NGB 23A every year that would calculate how much you would get per month at retirement. You should contact someone from your state to see about getting this information.

Comment

Thanks for the responce. I check though all my papers and do not have a NGB 23A. I do have the dates I enlisted (Sep 1990) and was discharged (May 1997). I completed every drill (2 days a month and 2 weeks per year) except for Sep 90 and May 97 which would add up to 326 days. I did have an extra 2 weeks of drill but I don't think they where counted. With this in mind, could you give me a rough figure of what I should exspect.

Comment

Found this formula, might help you figure it out...

1. Determine the active-duty salary on which your retirement pay will be calculated. Personnel with an active-duty service date prior to Sept. 8, 1980, will calculate their retirement pay using the Final Pay system, in which the baseline will be the final active-duty pay received, even if for only one day. For members who began service on or after Sept. 8, 1980, their retirement pay baseline will be the average of their pay received over their last 36 months on active duty.

2. Determine the number of Reserve/Guard retirement points you've accumulated over your years of service. Divide your accumulated active-duty points by 360, round it to the nearest two decimal places and multiply that number by 0.025 (2.5%) to determine your final retirement multiplier.

3. Multiply your final active-duty base pay by your multiplier to determine your Guard retirement pay. For example, an E-8 with 22 years of service and 3,000 points has a base salary of $4,833.90 per month and a multiplier of 3,000/360 x 0.025 = 0.20825. This individual would therefore have a monthly retirement pay of $4,833.90 x 0.20825 = $1,006.66.

Comment

Excellent response. I request this thread be a sticky.

OP, they been talking about making Guard retirees start receiving retired pay at 55 but it is still being legislated year after year. I believe in 2007, it was passed that deployed Guards members can reduce those days from their retirement age but it's based on fiscal year. So if you deploy from Oct 1st to Oct 1st of the following year, you can reduce a year in retirement to collect a pension; hence 60 to 59 up to ten years (if you deployed for ten times under the dates I stated. If not; then it's another form of calculations.

Comment

You can get out of the military. You can wait until you reach 60. If you stay in you can go on assignment. If your assignment is longer then 90 days you can subtract the day from your 60 birthday by. If you do go try to make sure it is on your order stating you can take off the day you pull active days. Keep a copy of all your order. You might be had to prove it when you retire.
            you pay will be for the top grade you had for 36 month. Once you retire age six you will start getting paid. You will have free medical care until you reach 65. At that time you will have to buy Medicare part A and B. then and only then will the rest of your medical be paid free. You will have to buy Dental insurance. If you get enough point while in Air National you can retire will active duty retire and start collecting. That is better.

Comment

As a first post; it should first be as an introduction. Then, the mods will know that you are not some spammer and legit.

Comment

Working...
              X