X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retired reserve?

I have just hit 20 good years in the guard. After careful thought, I'm going to retire. What exactly is the retired reserve? Cant I just retire? Any help is appreciated.

Re: Retired reserve?

You have not received your retirement brief at the 18 year mark? Usually you get it when an active duty member starts ACAPing but sometimes you get an email in your AKO at the 18th anniversary. Did you receive your twenty-year letter?

Here it is the definition on the wiki site

The Retired Reserve consists of all Reserve officers and enlisted personnel who receive retired pay on the basis of active duty and/or reserve service; all Reserve officers and enlisted personnel who are otherwise eligible for retired pay but have not reached age 60, who have not elected discharge, and are not voluntary members of the Ready or Standby Reserve; and other retired reservists under certain conditions

Which means if you are a retiree, you are subject to recall up to age 60. Then its volunteer after that.
    Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; August 28th, 2011, 01:24 PM.

Comment

No never got a briefing ever. Literally just hit 20 over the past two weeks. Can't I just retire? Isn't 20 enough? What benefit would there be in the retired reserves?

Comment

Ok, I guess you did not understand. You can retire once you put in your retirement packet and its approved. When you are on retired status you are automatically placed in the retired reserves; regardless if you are not receiving your retirement pay. So once you have the blue ID card, you are a retiree and in the retired reserves.

Comment

No I get it. What I don't understand is how can I be "retired" and subject to recall until I'm 60. I'm 39. Can't I just actually literally retire, meaning I'm done never to come back under any circumstance?

Comment

hrc.army.mil

By law, retired solders are mobilization assets for life. Current Army policy removes you from mobilization and recall to active duty at age 60. However, volunteers may be recalled up to age 70. Retirees with critical skills (i.e. Pilots, Chaplains, Medical Services, Lawyers) may be recalled at any age.
            You'll be fine.

Comment

You may wish to review some facts about the Retired Reserve, and its potential impact on your final retirement calculation when you turn age 60. For the record, reserve component service members are the only federal retirees who must wait to collect their retirements, rather than collect immediately upon eligibility. Also note that as a gray area retiree approaches age 60, he must still apply for retired pay. It won't come automatically.

Retired Reserve versus Discharge
              Gray Area Retiree Benefits
              Reserve Component Retirement System

Comment

Originally posted by Theone View Post
                I have just hit 20 good years in the guard. After careful thought, I'm going to retire. What exactly is the retired reserve? Cant I just retire? Any help is appreciated.
                What did you have to do to retire? I got my 20 year letter a while back and now plan to retire. I asked my unit what I needed to do, and they told me just write a letter saying "I quit". Is there an official form? I guess I can contact my state HQ, but would like some insight. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Cav View Post
                  What did you have to do to retire? I got my 20 year letter a while back and now plan to retire. I asked my unit what I needed to do, and they told me just write a letter saying "I quit". Is there an official form? I guess I can contact my state HQ, but would like some insight. Thanks.
                  No official form...your unit was correct. You just have to write a letter saying you want to retire. It's that simple for you, then the unit does the rest of it. (of course you have to clear supply and stuff stil)

Comment

Thanks. Way better than the active duty side.

Comment

Working...
                    X