Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: National Guard retirement

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
    An active and reserve service member won't receive the same benefits, hence the whole discussion about points. The points convert the actual duty performed into comparable active service, and pay based on that and rank (grossly simplified, but good enough for discussion purposes). A sergeant first class with 20 reserve years might have 2000 points (drill and AT yearly, and about two total active years in ADT, and perhaps a mobilization), which would currently give him ~$600/month in retirement. This is a low-ish estimate of points, but a completely plausible one. An SFC with 20 active years would draw $2000/month.

Not everyone fully appreciates the hardships faced by reserve component service members. While they have some different hardships than the active component, theirs are just as real and relevant. For all the difficulties that a Soldier endures on active duty, that Soldier has only one job, one career, one "master." His brother on reserve status must balance two competing careers. He also has the uncertainty of mobilizations disrupting him, and leaving his family without the support systems in place for most active component Soldiers (e.g., post housing, commissary, family services on-post, medical services on-post, proximity of other military families facing the same situations).

I hope this thread doesn't descend into a tales of woe, with two sides competing for who can tell the saddest story. Every Soldier can tell a sad story. The point is that reserve component Soldiers make sacrifices as well.

For the record, reserve component retirees are the only category of federal retirees that can't draw their retirement pay immediately.
    For summary's sake, is it (age 60) - (time spent on active orders) is when a traditional driving Guardsman draws retirement pay. Far later than the best years of one's life.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
      An active and reserve service member won't receive the same benefits, hence the whole discussion about points. The points convert the actual duty performed into comparable active service, and pay based on that and rank (grossly simplified, but good enough for discussion purposes). A sergeant first class with 20 reserve years might have 2000 points (drill and AT yearly, and about two total active years in ADT, and perhaps a mobilization), which would currently give him ~$600/month in retirement. This is a low-ish estimate of points, but a completely plausible one. An SFC with 20 active years would draw $2000/month.

Not everyone fully appreciates the hardships faced by reserve component service members. While they have some different hardships than the active component, theirs are just as real and relevant. For all the difficulties that a Soldier endures on active duty, that Soldier has only one job, one career, one "master." His brother on reserve status must balance two competing careers. He also has the uncertainty of mobilizations disrupting him, and leaving his family without the support systems in place for most active component Soldiers (e.g., post housing, commissary, family services on-post, medical services on-post, proximity of other military families facing the same situations).

I hope this thread doesn't descend into a tales of woe, with two sides competing for who can tell the saddest story. Every Soldier can tell a sad story. The point is that reserve component Soldiers make sacrifices as well.

For the record, reserve component retirees are the only category of federal retirees that can't draw their retirement pay immediately.
      Are we not the only group of part timers who get a retirement?

The financial aspect of points throws in variables, but not enough for an active 20 to a reserve 20 to even come that close to a valid argument. No part time job in the world to my knowledge gets a retirement at all.

Comment

I know the reserve components are going above and beyond ever since 9/11 and even prior in SFOR/KFOR missions. But more than even, the AD retirement system is being threatened and suggested by many who never served 20 on AD to convert it to a 401k and reserve retirement program. They would expect a new generation of active duty Soldiers to serve 20 years and not receive a military retirement until they were 60. Also, similar "think tanks" are suggesting the abolishing of commissaries and Tricare prime to retirees that live 35 miles away from a MTF (this is happening per the article below); all in the name of saving monies in the long term. Overall, because, entitlements (mainly welfare and food stamps) have ballooned, so the ones they want to cut from is the people who are defending this nation. Even though I am worried, I feel fortunate to be grandfathered and over the 20 years of service requirement. But I do not feel safe and even assured that I will have a military pension until I die. And now I better live next to a military installation if I want maximum retirement benefits intact.

Now approve an immediate pension to the reserve components after 20 years of service. This will entice and attract even more in the reserve components to remain to 20 years. Even though the average may just start out at 600 dollars a month; this will nevertheless become an added burden on the taxpayer and greatly increase the pension budget. Something that will cause a great rift and resentment towards the active component military pension program is something I cannot promote nor expect legislation for.

Just my view of this situation and I think I have earned what I am expecting. With so many changes happening (and mostly negative), recently my promotion goals have been tempered with so I have no choice but to take things with stride.

http://militaryadvantage.military.co...tricare-prime/
        Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; January 22nd, 2013, 08:58 AM. Reason: added link

Comment

I have 14 years active duty and am going into the Guard to build up points. Say between bootcamp, AT, school, deployments I hit 20 total active time before I'm 60 would I begin recieving regular acitve retirement or a reserve retirement?

Comment

Working...
          X