X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coming out of retirement

I retired from the Guard with 26 yrs of service. I elected to go into the Retired Reserves instead of calling it quits all together. The reason for this was that my personnel branch advised me to do it this way "just in case" I ever wanted to reconsider and serve at a later time.
    What I'm am searching for is answers to coming back on board and finding a unit deploying and do a tour of duty in theater. I was a 91W3F(v) on a Blackhawk, but, retired in 2002. The different MOS I held throught my career are as folows:
    11B(V), 67V/N, 93B,91W3F(flight medic) with High Altitude Flight Training(HAATS).
    I'm still in great shape along with my health and still have a couple good years before I call it quits for good. I'd like to feel all my training has not gone to waste.

Re: coming out of retirement

My patriotic friend, I am just curious... what rank?

Comment

Unfortunately SSG, rank structure in a Med Evac unit was limited, especially being on flight status. Unless you wanted to sit behind a desk. In case you're wondering, I do have an untarnished career. My career in Aviation has been a bountiful one i.e. maintenance, Aeroscout, and Med Evac, my heart still belongs to the Infantry.

Comment

Talk to your local recruiter, and get his NCOIC involved. Your case is rare, and although it's not too complicated, it is time-consuming. First, ensure that your State has a place for you, and is willing to take you. Then, you'd need to transfer from the Retired Reserve to the IRR. AR 140-1 deals with that (chapter six?). Again, not too complicated, but it takes awhile. Once in the IRR, it's very simple to get back drilling again.

Comment

Good afternoon Sir,
          I'll read up on AR 140-1 (Chap 6)? Correct me if I'm wrong ,but,I thought the IRR was the soldiers whom have out of uniform for quite some time, not to mention out of shape. The ones called up to fill the ranks during the first Gulf War. If switching from Retired Reserve to IRR is the way to go at least it will give me a start point.
          I'm on the books in St. Louis, and speaking to them, I was first advised to find a deploying unit, preferably Infantry, to have them pull my name and they would set me up for an interview. By the way I was in the MDARNG in Edgewood.

Comment

IRR is a pool of Soldiers who have completed their contractual obligation, but not their statutory obligation; or have voluntarily maintained affiliation. It's not a requirement to be old or out-of-shape, and is a bit unfair. The IRR will take you even if you're young and fit.

Yes, before you go through the hassles, get a letter of acceptance to a specific unit and paragraph/line from the State G1 (not the local unit, but from the State personnel office).

Comment

Working...
            X