X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSO for Officers using GIBILL-SR and FTA

I'm interested in joining the National Guard and was wondering how the military service obligations works regarding an officer taking FTA and GIBILL-SR.

My recruiter has told me that my initial service obligation would be 6 years and if I used FTA that would be 4 years and GIBILL-SR is another 6 years but Iím not sure how the overlapping service obligations would affect me, if it would be a MSO of 12 years or a shorter or longer MSO.

From what I have read so far, many thanks to LTC Ritchie for his patience and help, is that the FTA service obligation would be concurrent with the initial service obligation of 6 years.

Ch.1606 Gi bill I have read that itís an additional service obligation

- If you are an officer, you must have agreed to serve six years in addition to your original obligation. For some types of training, it is necessary to have a six-year commitment that begins after September 30, 1990 (VA Website)

So my Question is would that be an additional 6 years tacked onto my original contractual obligation of 6?

Also if there is an additional service obligation with taking Ch. 1606 Gi Bill is that service obligation strictly in the Guard or can it be completed in other Army service components like the Active Component or the Army Reserve?
Working...
X