X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTA questions

1. I'm about to start college here in Utah, however I'm considered an out of state resident. Can I still use my FTA?

2. If I use my FTA now before the start of the new fiscal year am I eligible for it next spring semester? or is it too close to the start of the new year?

3. Is there a cap on the number of years you can use FTA?

Re: FTA questions

If you are part of the Utah National Guard, you may be considered an instate student. Some states consider their guardmens instate students automatically. Virginia does this, or some schools in VA.

Yes you could still use your FTA.

You are supposed to be able to use it up to one degree.

You get 4,500 in FTA/year, so up to 2250 per semester. Yes you could get it in the spring, but you don't get the 4,500 alll at once.

Comment

1. I'm about to start college here in Utah, however I'm considered an out of state resident. Can I still use my FTA?

Generally, FTA is available to be used at any accredited institution for a degree seeking student...so yes. However, if you are a member of the Utah guard, speak with your school and/or education services office. Most state schools I have come into contact with will waive the out of state tuition for members of the military stationed in their state, including guard members.

2. If I use my FTA now before the start of the new fiscal year am I eligible for it next spring semester? or is it too close to the start of the new year?

You will be eligible pending whatever you have left. For federal tuition assistance there is a cap of 250 a credit hours and 4500 per fiscal year (starting 1 October). So yes, you should have some remaining.

3. Is there a cap on the number of years you can use FTA?

No. But generally speaking it can only be used for one credential. i.e. One Bachelors, and One Masters or Professional degree. FTA generally does not cover PHD programs

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
        If you are part of the Utah National Guard, you may be considered an instate student. Some states consider their guardmens instate students automatically. Virginia does this, or some schools in VA.

Yes you could still use your FTA.

You are supposed to be able to use it up to one degree.

You get 4,500 in FTA/year, so up to 2250 per semester. Yes you could get it in the spring, but you don't get the 4,500 alll at once.
        There is no per semester cap (2250). You get 250 a semester hour. So in theory you could use all of the 4500 if you took 6 classes in one semester.

Comment

Thank you for the replies! Quite informative. I've spoken with enrollment services at my local community college and talked to the residency officer, she said that since one of my parents still claims me as a dependent (Mom lives in a different state and claimed me on her taxes this past year for some reason...) the fact that I'm a member of the Utah Guard, have lived here for over a year, and graduated from a Utah HS doesn't matter. Though I personally think this is BS and I'm going sometime this week in person to see if I can appeal to them to waive the out of state tuition.

If not I suppose I'll have to use a crapload of FTA plus use my scholarship that I got for graduating a year early from HS. I'm only planning on taking 7 credits since it'll be my first semester of college and I have a job but it still comes out to over $2800 in tuition and fees if they don't waive the out of state residency.

Comment

Is PFC Rubio eligible for FTA prior to IET ?

Comment

You didnt name your school, but all state schools should have this policy.....

usu.edu/admissions/residency

Also, squash raises a good question and I am unsure of that answer, anyone wanna take that one.

Comment

Utah State University is actually the school I want to transfer to after I get enough credits to do SMP and get a good enough GPA. They have a great agriculture program. But anyways, I'm going to Salt Lake Community College for now and from what I've seen and heard from the residency officer here that policy unfortunately doesn't apply to this school.

I'm pretty sure I can use my FTA before IET. I've asked on the Guard chat room and also read in a Guard educational benefits booklet that I can use my FTA before IET so I'm hoping this information is true.

Comment

Originally posted by jc091393 View Post
                  Utah State University is actually the school I want to transfer to after I get enough credits to do SMP and get a good enough GPA. They have a great agriculture program. But anyways, I'm going to Salt Lake Community College for now and from what I've seen and heard from the residency officer here that policy unfortunately doesn't apply to this school.

I'm pretty sure I can use my FTA before IET. I've asked on the Guard chat room and also read in a Guard educational benefits booklet that I can use my FTA before IET so I'm hoping this information is true.
                  Looks as if they have the same policy. I know...I'm good

http://www.slcc.edu/enrollmentservices/Residency.asp

Comment

Well I had seen that before but the residency officer lady said it did not matter due to the tax issue. It sounded like total BS then and it still does which is why I'm going in person to get this taken care of.

Comment

Originally posted by jc091393 View Post
                      Well I had seen that before but the residency officer lady said it did not matter due to the tax issue. It sounded like total BS then and it still does which is why I'm going in person to get this taken care of.
                      Residency officer lady is incorrect.

Comment

She sure is! I called again and was more demanding, she went to go ask someone who actually knew stuff, turns out what she was saying is BS. I just gotta go show them my enlistment papers tomorrow so they can classify me as a resident. Now I just gotta see about getting FTA lol!

Comment

How long does FTA usually take to process? Anyone know?

Comment

It coul take awhile, they do them in the order they're received. It's best to get a jump on it months in advance. Now you just have to play the waiting game. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                            X