X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minuteman FTA

On average, can anyone tell me how long it takes for an FTA request to be received and get approved by your state's ESO office? I know this varies from state to state, but school is getting closer and I just want to be sure that I'm set. Thanks.

Re: Minuteman FTA

Originally posted by LoneStarSoldier View Post
    On average, can anyone tell me how long it takes for an FTA request to be received and get approved by your state's ESO office? I know this varies from state to state, but school is getting closer and I just want to be sure that I'm set. Thanks.
    This ways heavily on the amount of requests they have, and if they currently have money. Sometimes they run out of money and have to wait until the federal government gives them more. I have had my request get paid as quickly as two weeks, and as late as an entire semester.

If you are relying soley on tuition assistance to front the bill, if you are at a military friendly school, usually you can work out a deal with the registrar/bursars office. If you can prove to them you have requested the money and that it is on its way, they usually wont make you front the tuition money.

Comment

It does vary by state to state. In the state I'm in now it was like BAM! Right there.

They also grade the requests by priority and the order they come in.
      Last edited by Chaplain4me; July 24th, 2011, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
        It does vary by state to state. In the state I'm in now it was like BAM! Right there.

They also grade the requests by priority and the order they come in.
        Deleted.......
        Last edited by ParalegalNCO1; July 24th, 2011, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Thanks. Also, do I need to do anything through the VA at my school to let them know I'm still registered for school so there won't be any interruption in the MGIB Chapter 1606?

Comment

Thanks. Also, do I need to do anything through the VA at my school to let them know I'm still registered for school so there won't be any interruption in the MGIB Chapter 1606?
            Speak with the VA cordinator at the school and make sure they have certified you. If they don't certify you properly you wont get paid.

On a side note, if you are planning on deploying voluntarily or involuntarily any time soon, or if you are coming up on any active duty that would qualify you for the Post 9/11 gi bill, I would caution you to not use your 1606. If you still have alot of school to go, or may want to go to grad school, dont eat up gi bill eligibilty for a measly couple hundred dollars for the 1606, when you could potentially get a percentage of the more lucrative Chapter 33. You only get 36 months of eligibilty on one, or 48 on two types (an extra 12 months) after the first one is exhausted.

Just food for thought.

Comment

So if I qualified (with AD time), would I be able to use the 1606 and then the chapter 33 or both at the same time? Because my unit's looking at a deployment next summer, but by that time I'll be contracted as an ROTC cadet if nothing changes for me.

Comment

So if I qualified (with AD time), would I be able to use the 1606 and then the chapter 33 or both at the same time? Because my unit's looking at a deployment next summer, but by that time I'll be contracted as an ROTC cadet if nothing changes for me.
                You can only use one at a time. You can use one then the other but you may not want to depending upon your situation. You have to decide what is more lucrative to you, however...this is how it works in detail.

You get 36 months of 1606. If and when you become eligible for 33, you have to voluntarily tell the VA you want to convert. At that time you loose any remaining eligibilty on 1606 IF IT IS LESS THEN 36 MONTHS.

Example: Lets say you use 12 months of 1606 until you deploy, then you come back and convert to 33. You now only have 24 months remaining of 33. Once that is exhausted, unless you become eliligble for another chapter, your benefits are exhausted. So if you accidentally converted at say 34 months, you just screwed yourself.

Example 2: Lets say you exhaust all 36 months of 1606, but somewhere along the way you became eligbile for 33. You now can use an additional 12 months of benefits under chapter 33.

So depending on your timeline, if you are going to deploy, and if you can go without 1606 for now, it may be more lucrative for you to wait.

Also keep in mind you can backdate a VA cert 12 months. So you can hold off on 1606, waiting to see what happens, if all else fails backdate the claim for the school year and get it all in one payment.

I know that can be confusing, so please tell me if you are lost.

Comment

No, you didn't lose me SSG, thanks for the info.

Comment

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread but I new possibility has come up. I am getting some FAFSA award money, which, obviously would go towards my school to reduce the amount I owe for tuition, fees, etc. already. Does this change my FTA request at all? For example: If the FAFSA gets deposited before the TA request, will they only pay the remaining balance on my account or will whatever is left over be given to me? Thanks.

Comment

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread but I new possibility has come up. I am getting some FAFSA award money, which, obviously would go towards my school to reduce the amount I owe for tuition, fees, etc. already. Does this change my FTA request at all? For example: If the FAFSA gets deposited before the TA request, will they only pay the remaining balance on my account or will whatever is left over be given to me? Thanks.
                      Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) will only pay your tuition bill. If you have a low tuition bill, they'll only pay that. If you have other aid that reduces your tuition, then FTA will only pay that (up to the standard limits per year and per credit hour).

Comment

That's what I had initially thought. My TA request was approved today and will most likely (I'm hoping) be processed before August 12th when my FAFSA arrives. Is FAFSA the same way? I'm under the Pell Grant which means that I won't have to pay the money I receive back but if my tuition is already paid for and FAFSA still comes in will that money go to me or be returned to FAFSA by my school?

Comment

Working...
                        X