X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Student Loan Repayment

I'm writing on behalf of my boyfriend. He enlisted in the Guard about two years ago but just graduated from college. He had preexisting student loans when he enlisted, but his recruiter did not tell him to sign a specific form for the SLRP. He assumed that either a) he would be automatically enrolled in the program or b) he could begin/sign up for SLRP at any time. Now that he has graduated and needs to start paying off the loans, he has been told that he is not eligible because he did not sign the proper form when he enlisted. He's been told that his paperwork has been finalized, and since there is no way of rewriting a contract, there is no way to have the Guard cover those loans.

Is this information correct? It sounds to me as if his recruiter messed up by not informing him that he needed a certain form to sign up for SLRP, and now he is paying for the recruiter's mistake. This sounds like a horrible and tricky way of cheating people out of their promised benefits. Unless I am missing something? I appreciate any help you can offer.

Comment

Working...
    X