Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amount of coverage? Federal and State tuition assistance?

When I transfer to university, tuition there is a shred over 8,000 a year. I'm going to try for a NG SMP rotc program there.

Is it possible to be able to get all the tuition assistance needed to cover that much without taking a GRFD or dedicated guard scholarship? Reason being is that I'm hesitant to sign away the possibility of trying to go active if I want to and from what I hear, if you accept a GRFD scholarship, you're pretty much limited to one weekend a month for 8 years.

Is $8,000 within the range of coverage for someone who doesn't take a GRFD scholarship?

Thanks.

Re: Amount of coverage? Federal and State tuition assistance?

What state are you in?

There is FTA which covers 4,500 per fiscal year.

State TA is based on the state.

There is also MGIB-SR.

These I believe do not incur a service obligation as long as you are enlisted.

Comment

I'm in washington state, wanting to transfer to the University of Washington which has an army rotc program there.

Yeah, the FTA is about 4,500, and yeah not sure what state TA is either.

I'll ask my recruiter about the MGiB-sr when I next talk to them!

Comment

Originally posted by Derek808 View Post
        I'll ask my recruiter about the MGiB-sr when I next talk to them!
        Yes ask your recruiter about the MGIB-select reserve. Don't take the MGIB-SR kicker that does incur a service obligation in the guard. MGIB-SR is about 333 dollars per month.

Also it looks like your state participates in a tuition waiver program for guard members: http://www.washington.edu/admin/acad...on_exempt.html

You will also recieve a stipend in ROTC once you are contracted or are in your junior year of college.

Comment

A 6 year contract is one of the requirements for MGIB-SR.

Comment

Originally posted by NJ732 View Post
            A 6 year contract is one of the requirements for MGIB-SR.
            That's unfortunate. I'd like to stay in the NG after commissioning, but I don't know what my job/personal situation is gonna be in 2 years and I'd hate to get stuck with only part-time drill and have to struggle to make a living. But there's still time before I transfer, so I can look at the tuition at my school and work with my recruiter to find some way to get tuition covered without taking a dedicated scholarship.

Comment

Working...
            X