Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: University of Pheonix?

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
    Nobody "hooks you up" with a job. Don't fall for that line of ****. It takes an hour to find and apply for several jobs out there (thanks to the invention of the internet). And less than a week to craft, received critique and tweek a solid resume.
    Oh ok. I know that some online technical schools like Devry have employer partnership agreements. I wasn't sure if ITT Tech had any. I guess they don't.

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
    Right. And if you answer that email from the friendly nigerian man you will also find out that you won 5 million from the UK lottery. Just send in your social.
    Thanks Sergeant, but I use spam blocker.

Comment

It has been proven, via investigative reporting (Frontline on PBS did a great program on for-profit universities and scams - you can see the video online at the Frontline or PBS site) that the promise of finding you a job when you complete their degree programs (either through the degrees so-called marketability or employer partnerships) has no basis in truth. The truth is that even if such a program were to be on the level, at best it amounts to your resume being sent out to the employers to review by the organization, at worst it means you are given a list of employers to do the exact same thing yourself. And, guess what, you still have to compete and successfully interview for that position like everyone else - read this as there is no guarantee you will get the job just because....

Here is an employer partnership I know of with ITT - and I am not making this up - while working toward a technical degree this guy worked as a paperwork processor for another facet of ITT (their old retail finance division) I know this because I worked at that same job just off active duty. When he graduated he had no secure employment, and was disillusioned and searching, but all ITT offered was to stay in the strip mall office and continue processing appliance financing requests. I left for better pursuits and do not know what happened to the guy afterward.

Most people who fell for this remain unemployed, with useless degrees or classes that have no transferability to accredited public universities or similar private colleges. Oh and BTW, you still have to pay those rather large student loans you accrued for the overpriced degree program the Devry or ITT, or UoP (for example) offered. The private for-profit culinary colleges are notorious for this - leaving grads with the large loans and prep-cook jobs at or just above minimum wage (it should be noted that even though advertised that you will be an executive chef somewhere, the actual career progression starts you at the bottom if you find, and are hired into that job).

Ultimately using all of the major job web sites while pursuing a degree, networking, and the such will give you a better chance - also consider "real" colleges (community or higher) that have internship programs that you can apply for, this is much different than a so-called employer partnership... and gets you working toward your goals in a stable and effective manner - and maybe your foot in the door.

For-Profit schools are not the route you want to go, even though there are a few scattered success stories - after all here in Denver ITT and Kaplan both inhabit a dilapidated mall as their campus... go to a real school that has a dedicated career services office - not some strip mall location or a UoP office building masquerading as a college.
      Last edited by LRSU_Dog; April 30th, 2011, 12:00 AM.

Comment

I am still embarrassed to this day of getting ripped off with a large loan by a school that assured employment after finishing a WA*NG (why that word got asterisked is beyond me) Word Processing course. Also, I had to pay over 8K in the early 90s for the Westchester Business School. What only attracted me to the school was the 10 scale caliber of the female student persuasion. My credit took a big hit back then since I felt I was scammed but the creditor did not care.

A couple of years laters in that decade, I worked as a "school representative" for an undisclosed business school. My main objective was to get poor individuals; mainly woman on public assistance to apply for these high student loans to enroll in the program. The instructors did not even appear to be teacher certified nor did I know that was an actual pre-requisite to teach. The job came with a nice office but was strictly commission and I am bad at sales. My employment here lasted a month and personally, I found the position to violate my ethical and work principles since I had to BS so much on what the program was actually about.

Trying to take a short cut to a high tech career is a far-fetched dream. The informercials entice you because you are desperate to get that type of work immediately.

A solid employer would look at a resume and prefer to select candidates with a 2 to 4 (mainly 4) year degree from an accredited school. This shows them that you have the tenacity to start and finish something for the long term.

Its amazing that my events took place in 1985 and in the early 90s and still these other diploma mills are existence in the 21st century.

Good luck.

http://www.educationdepartment.org/info/197285

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/****_Laboratories <--replace **** with the word WA*NG. Take out the asterisk in the word I place.

**** Laboratories was a computer company founded in 1951 by Dr. An **** and Dr. G. Y. Chu. The company was successively headquartered in Cambridge (1954–1963), Tewksbury (1963–1976), and finally in Lowell, Massachusetts (1976–1997). At its peak in the 1980s, **** Laboratories had annual revenues of $3 billion and employed over 33,000 people.
        The company was always directed by Dr. ****, who played a personal role in setting business strategy and product strategy; he also took steps to ensure that the **** family would retain control of the company even after going public. He created a second class of stock, class B, with higher dividends, but only one-tenth the voting power of class C. The public mostly bought class B shares; the **** family retained most of the class C shares. (The letters B and C were used to ensure that brokerages would fill any **** stock orders with class B shares unless class C was specifically requested). **** stock had been listed in the New York Stock Exchange, but this maneuver was not quite acceptable under NYSE's rules, and **** was forced to delist with NYSE and relist on the more liberal American Stock Exchange.
        Under his direction, the company went through several distinct transitions between different product lines.
        **** Laboratories filed for bankruptcy protection in August 1992. After emerging from bankruptcy, the company eventually changed its name to **** Global. In 1999, **** Global was acquired by Getronics of The Netherlands.
        Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; April 30th, 2011, 04:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
          Right. And if you answer that email from the friendly nigerian man you will also find out that you won 5 million from the UK lottery. Just send in your social.
          And that Sgt, made my day.

Comment

Thank you all for the answers! The feedback I've gotten here seems quite different than what my RSP Sergeants told us. They said that although they officially don't endorse the school, several of them got their degrees from UoP or are working on them and they seemed pretty encouraging.

Comment

You don't have to go to college to be a police officer. You go to a police academy.

You should look into a program that your state benifits and TA totally covers. Avoid loans at all cost.

Comment

Where I live it is actually different from just going to a police academy - the specific town I live in (west Denver-metro) requires that all police officers hold a Bachelors Degree (all potential applicants have to have the degree to even be considered). Every town/area is different - and a bachelors degree is not a bad thing to have regardless.

Comment

UoP is garbage. Again, avoid them.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
                    UoP is garbage. Again, avoid them.
                    Agreed. NONE of the for-profit, distance-learning/online-learning universities have any kind of decent rep-u-tation.

All make their money by advertising in things like Army Times and other magazines catering to folks with a vested interest in getting a quickie degree to satisfy military or civilian job requirements.

These degrees are not valued or valuable. You're always much better off going on the cheap to your local community college and then going on the cheap to the least expensive state school you can find.

Comment

UoP was investigated for their recruiting practices by the gov.. They gave their admission reps quotas, and in enrollment management that's a HUGE No no.

To them you may just be a piece of meat.......a number. Their university is based on making money, even some private colleges are tuition driven, therefore the number of students is the revenue.

That's why state colleges can and some private schools can have small incoming class sizes because they are not as pressured to get their money from revenue, but their money comes from the gov. or donor contributions, or athletics.

Value though is in the eye of the beholder. For instance in my field, why would you go to a seminary where they don't believe the historicity of the text? Harvard shmarvard. It looks good on paper, but as far as preparing you to do actual work rather than sitting all day in the ivory tower then it seriously lacks.

I'm sure there are a bunch of people out there that are all HOOAH about UoP, if you want to be in that group and you think it will be benificial for you then do it. To a degree, you will not please everyone with your educational choices.

Cheap isn't always the best way to go either, some communitiy colleges are jokes. And there are advantages in attending class vs. online learning.

That's why I said avoid student loans....those jokers come every month, even during the holidays, they don't care, they will give you no breaks on your debt. UoP is going to put you into debt, and setback your financial goals

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone! I applied to my local CC and will be taking 6 credits there while I wait to ship out to BCT in January. ALso they offer an online program that's very flexible so I'm glad I took the advice of looking into community college.

Comment

Hey, University of Pheonix's accredition is only with the online schools whatever you call it.

It is not accepted by any majore colleges/universities, nor comunity colleges, therefore, I would highly recommend NOT doing it. If you want to do online schooling, take online courses through your regions approved and accredited colleges.

Don't just go into a college because it says it's accredited, go by what accreditions it actually says it has, and then look at the specific PROGRAM accreditions.

Like in my case looking at Engineer courses, I look for ABET accredition. etc. with the Pacific Northwest Colleges and something something. (too tired to think of the specific name)

When you're talking about education, the accreditions are no joke. Especially if you're paying money into it.

Comment

[QUOTE=FutureEngineer;151541]Hey, University of Pheonix's accredition is only with the online schools whatever you call it.

[QUOTE]

If you are going to try and give advice on a four month old thread.....please try to make sense.

Comment

Didn't realize it was four months old. My bad.

Regarding the educationa ccredition, University of Pheonix is only accredited by the University of Pheonix, American Military University, etc. Their accreditions are only amongst themselves, hense why employers will toss the resume's out just seeing the abbreviations for them. At least the employers I know do that.

Only online schooling you should ever do is directly through a community college or state university. Cert Mills, etc. should be tossed aside.

AMU and UoP have the same accreditions of another online school (can't remember name off the top of my head) that basically lets you buy a bachelors degree of "Life Experience".

Every school you attend, and every program you get involved in, you should always check the schools accreditions, and then the accreditions of the specific program you're going into. It's pretty clear cut. You wouldn't go into a Nursing School if it wasn't accredited by NCLEX, you wouldn't go into an Aircraft and Powerplant program if it wasn't backed by the FAA, etc.

Comment

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to throw my .02 in for what its worth. I'm currently attending AMU and have been for the past several years trying to finish up my BA. I chose to go to AMU because #1 they were one of the only schools to offer the major I wanted (Military History), and #2 they had a much better re****tion than U of P or any of the other online schools, and #3 their tuition was cheaper than my local university!s Now I don't know about the rest of their programs, but I can personally tell you I have worked my *** off for my degree thus far, it has not been easy, nothing has been handed to me, and it has been a freaking TON of work. I spent two semesters at Arizona State University as a History major and never had to write as many papers, or do as much reading as I've had to do at AMU. Because of this, I find that I'm actually retaining the material and learning the subject rather than just knowing what I need for the test and moving on. AMU is also very good at putting all the info out there and you can always look to see the in-depth background of your instructors, their credentials, along with staff and department chairs, directors, etc.

I live in Phoenix where U of P is based so we get to hear about them all the time, and yes they are for the most part a crappy school, where you do just basically pay for a degree. Is it right? No. But they do fill a niche that traditional colleges can't and that is flexibility for the working adult. I left ASU because it was impossible for me to work full time and attend classes at two different campuses at the times they have them scheduled. Sitting in a traditional classroom is not convenient for me. I have also looked into three different schools (two traditional universities, one private) about attending Master's programs and none of them have a problem with AMU. AMU is both regionally and nationally accredited, whereas I believe U of P is only nationally (regional is better).

This is not to say don't attend a community college if you can. I work for a community college and I am also a big proponent for them. If you have the time in your schedule then you should take advantage of the cheaper tuition and smaller class sizes. I will say, however, that we are now seeing a trend with our students that sitting in a traditional classroom 2 or 3 days a week is not possible. Many of our students work full time or more than one job, are single parents, etc and thus we have been forced to create more hybrid and online classes to accommodate them. I believe the future is going to be online learning.

Comment

Working...
                                X